Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gentlemen,

As you know I have been posting about the Mathews Chill R second hand I bought thinking it was a 50/60 lbs draw and it seems it is a 60/70 lbs bow.

I really like my bow but honestly I am afraid of not being able to open it correctly without risking some kind of elbow injury.

Maybe I am being to sissy? Is more a "mental fear" than something else?

I have had a problem in my elbow for some years with my rotator cuff, and I am afraid of my back and my elbow, maybe I am exaggerating a little bit with my fears. What do you think? I should keep the bow and try to learn how to use it in 60 lbs?

Right now I use a PSE Supra pro 2015 in 50 lbs. I takes me some effort to draw it with 55lbs. Don't tell me why but I feel much more confortable with the Mathews than with the PSE, specially with the PSE grip, it hurts me a little bit the bone of my left thumb when I shoot the bow. It is not as comfortable as the Mathews and it is a much bigger bow from axe to axe.

I am new to bow hunting, just started last year and not very often. I am a big man, 6,2' feet weight 190 lbs, 53 years old. After reading here several post and watching Youtube videos I feel like "a little girl" because it seems everyone up there in the States uses 60/70 bows...

I want to use it in axis deers and pigs, and I thought that 50/52 lbs was enough.

Down here in Uruguay is difficult to find new bows that is the reason I am with this problem.

What you you think I must do? continue learning with the PSE and forget the Mathews or insist with the last one?

Thanks for your answers.

·
Registered
17,315 Posts
If you have issues drawing a bow for sure drop weight and shoot comfortably!

For the animals your hunting 50 is good its, what's, at the end of your arrow and weight that is important and of course accuracy and to much draw weight your accuracy will suffer.

BTW I wish I was your size, I'm 6'2" and 270lbs but at least I don't have a beer gut yet.

·
Gold Supporting Archer
9,981 Posts
You are still very young enough to begin a strengthening program using proper techniques with weight training.

You’d be surprised how fast your body will strengthen doing some shoulder movements with very light weights and high repetitions pumping blood thru your joints. Blood aides in healing big time. Weight training pumps the muscle area up. You will both get stronger and heal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One more thing, I insist that if I release the limb bolt 5 turns out from max (as someone from Mathews company told me) the bow gives 51 lbs draw !!!

The previous owner that bought in the States as a 60/70 bow use it with 1 1/2 limb bolt turn out and was giving him 66/67 lbs...

I am really confused.

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
No way for us to know if 60 pounds is too much for you. You could order some 50-60 pound limbs and solve the problem pretty easy for @ $200 and shipping is a lot cheaper on a set of limbs than a new bow. 50 pounds is enough to hunt, you want to use some very sharp cut on contact broad heads. You are probably a 30" draw length so you will have plenty of power for hunting.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much gentlemen.

I looked on the internet and there is a pair of 50/60 limbs for $224 on eBay. the problem is that for import them into my country without additional taxes the total of the invoice must be 200 dollars :sad:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If exceeds 200 hundred dollars I must pay 60% more in taxes...maybe I will do it anyway, the bow cost me 900 dollars.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts

I looked on the internet and there is a pair of 50/60 limbs for $224 on eBay. the problem is that for import them into my country without additional taxes the total of the invoice must be 200 dollars :sad:
You should contact a Mathews dealer. That's twice what those limbs should be. New limbs with a warranty will only be a couple dollars more.

Sent from my SM-G532M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,795 Posts
Hi gentlemen,

As you know I have been posting about the Mathews Chill R second hand I bought thinking it was a 50/60 lbs draw and it seems it is a 60/70 lbs bow.

I really like my bow but honestly I am afraid of not being able to open it correctly without risking some kind of elbow injury.

I have had a problem in my elbow for some years with my rotator cuff, and I am afraid of my back and my elbow, maybe I am exaggerating a little bit with my fears. What do you think? I should keep the bow and try to learn how to use it in 60 lbs?

Right now I use a PSE Supra pro 2015 in 50 lbs. I takes me some effort to draw it with 55lbs. Don't tell me why but I feel much more confortable with the Mathews than with the PSE, specially with the PSE grip, it hurts me a little bit the bone of my left thumb when I shoot the bow. It is not as comfortable as the Mathews and it is a much bigger bow from axe to axe.

I am new to bow hunting, just started last year and not very often. I am a big man, 6,2' feet weight 190 lbs, 53 years old. After reading here several post and watching Youtube videos I feel like "a little girl" because it seems everyone up there in the States uses 60/70 bows...

I want to use it in axis deers and pigs, and I thought that 50/52 lbs was enough.

Down here in Uruguay is difficult to find new bows that is the reason I am with this problem.

What you you think I must do? continue learning with the PSE and forget the Mathews or insist with the last one?

Thanks for your answers.
I have been using 60lbs for a few years now.................shoot whatever you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
11,795 Posts

don't do that.........completely unnecessary.............back the poundage down as far as safely possible and start there...........buying new limbs is crazy, absolutely not necessary.........

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
I was never able to turn my HTR down nearly 20 pounds from the max limb rating, and if I remember right you said in your other thread when you turned the bow to full poundage you only got about 63 pounds... Regardless of what the seller told you, did you check the limbs to see what weight is stamped on them? If they are truly 70 pound limbs, there is something else very wrong with how the bow is set up, so you should also, while the bolts are turned all the way in [but again, do not forct them], and measure axle to axle and brace height.

Next, confirm your scale is actually correct.

As for whether you should buy new lighter limbs, no matter what your scale says, if you can draw the bow safely and repeatedly there is no reason to change, but from the information you've given something- wrong limbs or bad scale or cables and strings are not correct or something, is not right with your bow.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
There is no reason to feel like a little girl. I’m 36 6’2” 230 and I shoot 54 on my target bow and 53 on my hunting bow. I use VAP rip arrows with a 125gr magnus stinger. Your just fine. I have become more comfortable and accurate. I messed my shoulder up to the point I can not sleep on my right side so lower poundage is a good choice.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
You can work the cables to get lower draw weight also. It will effect draw length. I would turn it down max you can and test it. I shoot 63lbs on 60lb limbs with a chill x and it’s easy as butter. I would try to find a used set of limbs on here if you must change them.

·
Registered
51,099 Posts
Turning the bow down to 60 is probably not a good idea with the OP. Suprises me how many of you didn't understand he has medical limitations.
The only choices I see is either lower poundage limbs or sell it and get a bow that will work for him.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Turning the bow down to 60 is probably not a good idea with the OP. Suprises me how many of you didn't understand he has medical limitations.
The only choices I see is either lower poundage limbs or sell it and get a bow that will work for him.

Yes but in OP's other threads on the subject

https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5900027

and

https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5900999

there is more going on than we have information on... OP's been told it's a 70# bow both by the seller and Mathews, but was able to back it out 4-5 turns and get into the low 50s, and when the limb bolts were cranked down only lower/mid 60s... Have yet to see if OP's limbs have been swapped already sometime in the past to something lower, or if perhaps the scale is drastically off. Regardless, if OP is already getting it down into the low 50s, buying and turning down a 60# isn't going to be any different.

·
Registered
51,099 Posts
Yes but in OP's other threads on the subject

https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5900027

and

https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5900999

there is more going on than we have information on... OP's been told it's a 70# bow both by the seller and Mathews, but was able to back it out 4-5 turns and get into the low 50s, and when the limb bolts were cranked down only lower/mid 60s... Have yet to see if OP's limbs have been swapped already sometime in the past to something lower, or if perhaps the scale is drastically off. Regardless, if OP is already getting it down into the low 50s, buying and turning down a 60# isn't going to be any different.
Agree Kelly, there is something else going on. If in fact it is a 70# bow backing it down to 50# is not only inadvisable it is dangerous. Miscommunication, defective equipment???? It goes on and on. Another problem with AT is we rarely get all the information. Also not having things in hand lead to arguements and miscommunication. But going off what "he" posted he does have medical limitations and little knowledge of bows. He really needs some hands on.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Agree Kelly, there is something else going on. If in fact it is a 70# bow backing it down to 50# is not only inadvisable it is dangerous. Miscommunication, defective equipment???? It goes on and on. Another problem with AT is we rarely get all the information. Also not having things in hand lead to arguements and miscommunication. But going off what "he" posted he does have medical limitations and little knowledge of bows. He really needs some hands on.

Ha, don't most of us from time to time... Think I read OP was from Uruguay, competent help may be harder to find.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Hi gentlemen,

Thanks for your answers.
DO not back down a 70 lb Mathews bow to 50 lbs. As Dale said, it would be dangerous to the bow and to you. You can go 4 turns down from maxed out and whatever that ends up being, typically about 16 lbs less than max (4 lb. per turn). Since most Mathews bows are generally 2 or 3 lbs above max rated, you should be able to get to 56-58 lbs backed out 4 turns. From there, someone suggested detuning the weight using cables (purposely taking the bow out of spec for brace height and axle to axle to lower the draw weight). The bow will still shoot well, so that might be how to get it down to something that you can shoot comfortably. This is where I would start rather than sending the $330 for limbs and import tariffs. You can always go the expensive route later if you can't get it down to your comfort level.

Of course, doing work with cables and strings will require a bow press (as will changing limbs) so hopefully you have access to one. (Oh yeah, I am 6 ft., 225 lbs. and I shoot 50-60 lb. limbs on my bow just because it is comfortable...I don't need a 70 lb. bow for what I hunt.)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts