Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Labs and I hit the water 9-1 for our early goose season. It will help soften my bowhunting jones til 10-2. Maybe the onlything good about "Katrina" is that she filled up the marsh.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Im not one much now but used to be a big time waterfowler. Used to hunt waterfowl from early goose and teal all the way through duck season. used to duckhunt morn and bowhunt afternoon. Sometimes viseversa depending on conditions. Been several times where i took a limit of ducks in the morn and a deer in the afternoon. I only hunt a private pond now for a few ducks and geese. Just got to where it wasn't the thrill anymore so i just go on occasions with friends.

I do have some hand carved bluebill decoys i want to sell if anyone is interested.

Anyways Best of luck this coming season. Shoot one for me.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Die Hard Duck Hunter Here! Have Dog, Decoys, Boat, And Gun, Will Travel.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Duck Hunter

Duck hunting is great! Hope we have a better season in NH than last year. We have a resident goose season coming up shortly. My wife asked how you can tell if a goose is a resident. I told her that they are the ones with out luggage.
DennyG

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Nope no goose hunters here!Waiting for it to cool down a little for the dog then well tear 'em up good luck any bands on your local birds?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Die hard waterfowl hunter here. I am heading out after work today and will be hunting all weekend. This 2 week early goose season here in Michigan is great! Quite a few residents here that will soon be relocated to my freezer. :teeth:

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I'll be out once or twice. Always bothered me that duck and deer had to conflict. Goose on the other hand is nice having it in early Sept.

Here is a pic of me and my water dog(and one of my 2005 spring gobblers). I was just working him in a rainstorm last night on the Hudson River. You should have seen him crashing the 3 foot breakers! His name is Otter . . .

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Thank the good Lord that waterfowl and archery season do not run together or I would be in big trouble I have a 90 pound Lab and he always ready to go.
Blake

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Love duck hunting...

I have a buddy that doesn't deer hunt, but is a duck hunting fanatic! We tore them up last year on one trip out to the coast of NC. It could have been a duck hunting video... coolest thing I've ever seen. I am hooked for life now.... along with turkey hunting and bow hunting deer. :eek: (Too many dang hobbies)

Anway, I have the dog, but she's worthless.... 110 lbs. of beautiful show quality yellow lab and she has the retreival instinct of a house cat. :thumbs_do I love her though and she's a good dog... just not "Daddy's Gun Dog" that I hoped her to be. :sad:

I do have the gear and am trying to talk my buddy into getting an old jon boat for this upcoming season (we had to borrow his Dad's last year).

-ZA206

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
I do some. Not too thrilled about it this year though.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Cool, I've never been goose/duck/turkey/any kind of bird hunting. Hear they are a blast but I waste so much time chasing these damn whitetails...in NJ of all places no less! :eek: :rolleyes: :shade:

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Hoyt4265 said:
Same as above but i think its a little deeper in my bones than this guy. LOL
WHY DO YOU SAY THAT?

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Myk said:
I do some. Not too thrilled about it this year though.
Same here, there's a few local birds, but when the mountain waters freeze, Colorado must look awful small to a duck. Geese will be largely moving in in November.

Besides, todays the opener for doves, elk season has been open since last Saturday, fall turkey goes until the beginning of October, grouse and chucker go into and beyond October, deer season opens the 20th of October for me, and I have a December archery hunt in Idaho that I need to attend.

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
Same here, there's a few local birds
That's not my total reason, I'm rather new (2 seasons) but from what I hear from people I trust, last year wasn't that bad and I know compared to the year before we did pretty good.

But, we didn't get drawn out for a blind so I'm not sure I want to bother waking up, wasting gas to get to my friend's, loading up his boat, wasting more gas to get to the area just to not get drawn out for a blind.
On top of that I'm not too sure I want to spend the $25 for stamps to waste all the money for the gas.

If we had drawn even a crap blind I might be a little more into it.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Duck/goose hunting is my #1 passion; followed closely by bowhunting and then long range rifle hunting/shooting.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I am a duck and goose hunter. Our goose season starts sept 3. And that should hold me over till deerhunting on sept 17th.
matt

1 - 20 of 25 Posts