Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I was looking at the different peep sights. I found that there is a hooded peep sight and not. If I decided to get the non-hooded one does the aperture kit would still work with it?

·
GO UTES!!! ml_lm
8,260 Posts
Yes, all of the aperture's & clarifiers that I have work in either my hooded & non-hooded specialty peeps...

***Just make sure you buy peeps & aperture's with corresponding sizes

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
If you plan to run a lens in your peep I'd get the hooded peep. It's all preference though. That's just me. It helps keep the reflection from the sun off your lens

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you plan to run a lens in your peep I'd get the hooded peep. It's all preference though. That's just me. It helps keep the reflection from the sun off your lens
Hi Crissman 6903,
I didn't know that you can put a lens in your peep as well. I thought that, you only use or put the lens to the scope.. Sorry new to target archery.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Hi Crissman 6903,
I didn't know that you can put a lens in your peep as well. I thought that, you only use or put the lens to the scope.. Sorry new to target archery.
You can put a clarifier and verifier into peep sight. I did use a hooded peep. Switched to non hood because im always wearing a baseball hat

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can put a clarifier and verifier into peep sight. I did use a hooded peep. Switched to non hood because im always wearing a baseball hat
Hi,

WOW I need to know a lot of things LOL. I look up through on line the verifier, and it says that it helps to clarify my vision. Then that sees very helpful for someone like me. I wer contacts or glasses. and I dont have a good eye sight. With that description, it seems that its very helpful.

So that verifier is different from the aperture kit? The one that change the size of the peep?.. So the question is, can u use both? the aperture and the verifier or just one?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Does anyone feel that the angle of the sun can affect the the shooters perception of the peep? By perception I mean, where the center of the peep is.
If so, it would seem the shot could be off center as a result.
For myself, I know lighting affects me. Point of impact for indoors vs outdoors, morning vs evening. Maybe that's just my lack of f'n talent (LOFT).
Allot of "ifs" here, but if so, would a hooded peep help combat this?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Yes, I watched a video with Tim Gillingham, he said when he shoots into the sun, he will get misses to either the left or right, but always the same side into the sun, so now he uses a hooded peep

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Hi,

WOW I need to know a lot of things LOL. I look up through on line the verifier, and it says that it helps to clarify my vision. Then that sees very helpful for someone like me. I wer contacts or glasses. and I dont have a good eye sight. With that description, it seems that its very helpful.

So that verifier is different from the aperture kit? The one that change the size of the peep?.. So the question is, can u use both? the aperture and the verifier or just one?
Yes they are different. The aperture kit has no lens in them just changes peep size. I wear glasses/contacts. Im far sighted. With my scope lens my target blurs out good bit. Verififer cleans up targets. If you pin blurs out get a clarifier. Both options can be bought with different size opening. Check out specialty archery s website. Has a lot of great info there

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
read a few posts stating that poster felt hooded peep was cutting a cable but have never seen this personally .
If it does then he has tuning issues as well. Big time tuning issues.

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,132 Posts
And also rain to a degree.....

I only shoot hooded peeps.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Hooded for me. I plan to add a verifier soon. Can you have a verifier in your peep and still shoot bowhunter freestyle??

·
Socket Man
24,315 Posts
1. To th OP, Get the 5 piece aperature kit and the 3/16 in speciality pro hooded peep. These two things are your foundation to getting started and are not a option so just get them.

2. If you have a 4x lens then I would get a 1/8 number 1 clarifier also

3. If you are shooting without a lens then you can consider getting a verifier but they are only for shooters not using a lense on the sight.

Once you have your aperature kit and verifier or clarifier it only takes about 10 minutes to change and try each one of the options and you will know which one gives you a very clear target view and clear pin view and it is the one you wan't. If you don't have these to try you are simply guessing and will probably not get lucky.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a hooded peep on one of my bows and I love it! I feel like I can see a little better with it, maybe it's just me I don't know.
I will be eventually switching peeps on my other bows to the same peep. My other bows without a hooded peep seem to be a little blurry lining the peep and the sight housing.

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
I have both a hooded Peep site with interchangeable apertures and I also have the old standby Fletcher Tru-Peep that I have used for nearly 40 years (since they first came out).
Personally, I much prefer the Fletcher Tru-Peep, but it does not provide the option of interchangeable apertures. Years ago, the Fletcher Tru-Peeps also offered peeps with lenses in them with varying size apertures and called them "Power Peeps". I have some of those, but personally just don't like peep sites with lenses in them indoors or outdoors.

I see virtually zero difference between the hooded peep site and my Fletcher Tru-Peeps when at full draw, indoors or outdoors. Again, however, I don't ever use a lens in my peep sites; just don't like them.

That being said, however, I certainly won't take anything away from people that want clarifiers or verifiers if that keeps them happy. Personally, I like a bit of a "muddy" or slightly fuzzing image of the bullseye as opposed to a super clear image; that is just me and the way I like it. Many others want crystal clear images and will go to great lengths to get that; more "power" to them (Pun intended!).

Just offering another point of view (again, pun intended, haha); it isn't ALL about the peep site or "clarity"; there is more to it than just that.

field14 (Tom D.)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Everyone!

Thank you soo much for much needed information. I am new at this whole archery thing. And I'm trying to focus on Target Shooting Compound. So all you guys opinion gives me some info and all. Very much appreciated..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1. To th OP, Get the 5 piece aperature kit and the 3/16 in speciality pro hooded peep. These two things are your foundation to getting started and are not a option so just get them.

2. If you have a 4x lens then I would get a 1/8 number 1 clarifier also

3. If you are shooting without a lens then you can consider getting a verifier but they are only for shooters not using a lense on the sight.

Once you have your aperature kit and verifier or clarifier it only takes about 10 minutes to change and try each one of the options and you will know which one gives you a very clear target view and clear pin view and it is the one you wan't. If you don't have these to try you are simply guessing and will probably not get lucky.

Hi,

The reason why I'm asking for a verifier is that I am far sighted. I wear contacts most of the time, so whenever I try to blink my eye, its hard for me to focus again and its kind of blurry. I'm sorry I wasnt familiar with the whole size lol..

I am getting the 5 piece aperture kit, and the specialty archery 37 degree one. Now, idk if your are talking about the Speciality Super Peep Pro Series 37 Degree Hooded Peep?? Coz thats the one I am planning on buying. So base on my understanding from you, correct me if I am wrong, I have t get the aperture kit and the hooded peep together, then I can add the clarifier as well right?

So yeah I understand what you are saying about the size of the clarifier, not sure about if I am right about the size I told you about the hooded peep?
I like the clarifier because it will make my target face clearer especially for someone like me who is far sighted.. My target blurrs out whenever I try to focus. so with the help of the 4x lens and the clarifier hopefully it will help me :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have both a hooded Peep site with interchangeable apertures and I also have the old standby Fletcher Tru-Peep that I have used for nearly 40 years (since they first came out).
Personally, I much prefer the Fletcher Tru-Peep, but it does not provide the option of interchangeable apertures. Years ago, the Fletcher Tru-Peeps also offered peeps with lenses in them with varying size apertures and called them "Power Peeps". I have some of those, but personally just don't like peep sites with lenses in them indoors or outdoors.

I see virtually zero difference between the hooded peep site and my Fletcher Tru-Peeps when at full draw, indoors or outdoors. Again, however, I don't ever use a lens in my peep sites; just don't like them.

That being said, however, I certainly won't take anything away from people that want clarifiers or verifiers if that keeps them happy. Personally, I like a bit of a "muddy" or slightly fuzzing image of the bullseye as opposed to a super clear image; that is just me and the way I like it. Many others want crystal clear images and will go to great lengths to get that; more "power" to them (Pun intended!).

Just offering another point of view (again, pun intended, haha); it isn't ALL about the peep site or "clarity"; there is more to it than just that.

field14 (Tom D.)

I Tom,

I assume u have a very good vision. Or if not u wear a glass kind of? The reason why I like the lens and the clarifier is becasue I am farsighted and have a astigmatism as well. Whenever I use my contacts, and u close ur eyes while I am focusing the target blurrs, then I try to close my eyes again so that my contacts stay in place. IT os really hard for me, without the help of this things I guess. After all they make the target clear and that their job. Having astigmatism as well isnt helping me at all. MY lens always rotates and thats part of it.

Right now I'm using a hunting bow using pins. I am trying to switch to Target shooting compound bows. I am using my bow right now without any lens or clarifier right now, and it blurs occasionally. I know that when I use a magnifying lens, the image will clear, but the target would move a bit ( u know when U magnify something, sorry not good in describing). People who use clarifier in my own research or reading their reviews helps them see the target clear. thats why I wanted to use both..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts