Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question for those who shoot with a hooded peep, what is the major advantage to a hooded peep? Is it to keep glare at a minimum or does it only help when using a clarifier? What are the Pro's--Cons???

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
glare

Keep glare down. And I cannot tell they make any difference what so ever.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
No Advantage

I have been shooting the hooded peep for three years and I don't think they offer any advantage at all. Just another gimmick. One possible downside is increased string oscillation with the unbalanced shape of the peep. Other than the convenience of changing aperture size I believe you are better off with a Fletcher Tru Peep for $3.95.
Jbird

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
This is a question for those who shoot with a hooded peep, what is the major advantage to a hooded peep? Is it to keep glare at a minimum or does it only help when using a clarifier? What are the Pro's--Cons???
I shoot a Specialty hooded peep and for me has minimized glare, helps maintain position and keeps the amount of light consistent. On the negative side Specialty hooded peeps are not cheap.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I’ve been using the hooded peep for a good while and in certain circumstances it may have helped me by shielding my clarifier from the sun; much as the brim of a cap will do. Of course I can’t prove it one way or the other so don’t ask for proof… :D

Are they necessary? Probably not, but I’ve seen no detrimental effects from them either so I’ll continue to use them until I do… :wink:

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Biggest benefit I've seen, of all places, is indoors. Just my opinion, but seems to me the hooded peep helps cut down on glare from the overhead flo and halogen lighting at indoor venues. Helps me "see" through the peep opening a little better. Possibly helps in some conditions outdoors where the brim of the hat doesn't quite cut down on all the sun due to angle. But even if not cutting down on glare I haven't found it to be a detriment to my shooting either so will continue to shoot the hooded peeps. And just an fyi, I don't use a clarifier, but still notice you can get glare around the opening in a peep aperture....even after the strategic use of a sharpie around the edges of the opening ;).

>>------>

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I am in the process of setting up a bow for field archery. I'm kinda new to the field shooting--looking for all the input I can get.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My hooded super peep eats the crap outta my string...anyone else have this problem?
You probably have a rough edge or burr on the peep. Use a super fine emery cloth to buff it out. To ensure you've got it taken care of use a q-tip around the entire surface...it will tell you if you still have a bad spot.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I like the hooded peep because I can customize my aperature size. I also felt the "Hood" might keep water from forming in my peep when I shoot in the rain. Havent tried it out yet though...

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I have the same question, any one else?

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
I shoot a hooded peep on my indoor bow. It does help with the glare indoors. Outdoors I see no difference. You dont need a hooded peep to change aperature. Specialty maked them in non hooded also.

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
It made a difference for me at my club because of where one of the lights are located at the 20yd line. I was getting a bad glare from a meta peep. I wear glasses and use a clarifier so a speciality peep is pretty much required for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts