Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Indiana DNR eliminates handgun restrictions
----------------------------------------------------------------

Hoosiers with valid handgun licenses are now allowed to carry those firearms when under DNR jurisdiction, effective immediately, as the result of four temporary rule modifications signed by Director Kyle Hupfer.

“This corrects an inconsistency with DNR rules and the law of the land almost everywhere else in Indiana,” Hupfer said. “I appreciate the Governor’s support to bring this in line with statewide gun policy.”

“These changes, which we hope become permanent, make it clear to everyone that nothing in DNR rules should restrict law-abiding citizens who have met all legal requirements and obtained a valid handgun license from exercising their constitutional rights,” Hupfer said.

Specifically, the first change allows handgun-licensed individuals on DNR properties to carry a handgun. The other three changes involve hunting activities on both private and public land. Those with handgun licenses will now be able to carry such firearms when hunting wild turkeys or when hunting deer with a bow and arrow. Similarly, handgun-licensed individuals will be able to carry a handgun when running dogs for opossum and raccoon during chasing season. Previously, DNR rules prohibited carrying licensed handguns in these instances.

“There is no reason that law-abiding citizens should lose a means of personal protection and the protection of their family solely because they choose to hunt or visit a DNR property.”

Hupfer will now submit the rule to the Natural Resource Commission (NRC) for consideration for permanent adoption.

By state law, the DNR director has authority to temporarily modify rules for the DNR. Such modifications are valid for a maximum of one year and can be renewed for an additional period not to exceed one year. In order for any DNR rule modification to become permanent, it must be approved by the NRC after successfully passing through a rigorous review process, including a public hearing that is set by state statute. Once a rule becomes permanent, it has indefinite legal application but must undergo "sunset" evaluation every seven years.

http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com/index.cgi?board=campfire&action=display&thread=1158871035

·
Registered
83 Posts
This is outstanding. I am from Indiana and I am also a Law Enforcement Officer and I always feel nervous when I do not have my weapon on me. Also, I think it was last month I read a post where those Anti's went to that fishing area and assaulted people who where fishing. I did not think they would be silly enough to assault a hunter who carries a gun but know you can protect yourself while bow hunting also. Will this be in affect the 2006 bow season?????

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
What's a "handgun license" in Indiana? Does it just allow you to own a handgun, or is this really people with Concealed Carry permits?

·
Registered
36,017 Posts
Dchiefransom said:
What's a "handgun license" in Indiana? Does it just allow you to own a handgun, or is this really people with Concealed Carry permits?
It is a personal protection permit. Allows you to carry on your person or in your vehicle...and now Indiana is offering lifetime permits..

Did you know that in Indiana you can not carry a knife on school property.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
indiana ******* said:
I also would like to know does this take effect now.

Again per Kyle Hupfer, the IDNR director - It is "effective immediately".

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
The reason I asked is cautionary. Here in California, we also can't carry a handgun(any firearm) while bowhunting. If they did away with that, unless we had a Concealed Carry permit, the handgun would need to be visible at all times.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
rodney482 said:
It is a personal protection permit. Allows you to carry on your person or in your vehicle...and now Indiana is offering lifetime permits..

Did you know that in Indiana you can not carry a knife on school property.
I wonder if this covers non residents with a CDW permit as well?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Let me first say, that I am 110% behind the 2nd amendment and our rights as Indiana citizens to carry a hand gun. I too own a hand gun and understand the fascination with them. I'm not against the ruling, but I can't understand the push that some feel the NEED to have one on them while bow hunting.

Call me naive, but I've been hunting for 20 years. I've hunted from South Florida, to South Texas, to northern Canada, and in between, mostly with bow in hand. I've never at one time felt the need to have a hand gun on me. I've had coyotes follow me, I've had a very upset alligator lunge at me, I've stood face to face with a Florida panther, I've run into illegal Mexican aliens in the Texas bush, I've run into trespassers, I've had javelina charge me, I've almost stepped on poisonous snakes, among other things. I have yet to feel I needed a hand gun to protect me in any of these situations.

Call me a knuckle head, but I just don't get the NEED to feel protected with a hand gun while out hunting, especially in Indiana where there is not one single animal out there that will take you down. But then again, I don't understand the need that some have to be armed when they run into our local Wal-mart. I see the NEED in a bad neighborhood. I see the NEED when running trap lines. I see many NEEDS. But when armed with a bow, shotgun, or muzzleloader, I just don't get the NEED to carry a hand gun. I do understand the RIGHT to carry one, just not the NEED.

Too each their own I guess.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you were indeed carrying it solely for protection. why would it be concealed? I dont think i have ever seen any type of hunter or fisher carry a handgun here in Alaska concealed. We carry them across the chest, or on the hip, myelf while bowhunting its been either my 454 or 460 on my hip. What good is a concealed firearm doing you when you cant get to it?
Steve

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
DEC said:
Let me first say, that I am 110% behind the 2nd amendment and our rights as Indiana citizens to carry a hand gun. I too own a hand gun and understand the fascination with them. I'm not against the ruling, but I can't understand the push that some feel the NEED to have one on them while bow hunting.

Call me naive, but I've been hunting for 20 years. I've hunted from South Florida, to South Texas, to northern Canada, and in between, mostly with bow in hand. I've never at one time felt the need to have a hand gun on me. I've had coyotes follow me, I've had a very upset alligator lunge at me, I've stood face to face with a Florida panther, I've run into illegal Mexican aliens in the Texas bush, I've run into trespassers, I've had javelina charge me, I've almost stepped on poisonous snakes, among other things. I have yet to feel I needed a hand gun to protect me in any of these situations.

Call me a knuckle head, but I just don't get the NEED to feel protected with a hand gun while out hunting, especially in Indiana where there is not one single animal out there that will take you down. But then again, I don't understand the need that some have to be armed when they run into our local Wal-mart. I see the NEED in a bad neighborhood. I see the NEED when running trap lines. I see many NEEDS. But when armed with a bow, shotgun, or muzzleloader, I just don't get the NEED to carry a hand gun. I do understand the RIGHT to carry one, just not the NEED.

Too each their own I guess.
So, bad guys only hang out in bad neighborhoods?

I'll tell you what I don't NEED... More people like you telling me what I NEED.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Steven,

It don't believe that it HAS to be concealed. I can pack it on my hip if I so desire.

All four gun shops in Evansville Indiana, that I am aware of, the "clerks" have their handguns on their belts for all to see.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Ryan said:
So, bad guys only hang out in bad neighborhoods?

I'll tell you what I don't NEED... More people like you telling me what I NEED.
Ease up man. I never told you what you NEED.

I am 110% for the freedom and the right to carry a handgun. I just don't see the NEED in the Indiana deer woods. But if you feel the NEED, then by all means do it.

Maybe I've been lucky in all my hunting travels that I've not run into the psycho in the woods. Maybe I've been lucky that in 37 years I've not run into the psycho on the streets. I'm not that paranoid I guess. I see the guys packing as they walk in to Wal-mart. Paranoia, IMO, but their right, so let them do what they want.

Lighten up. No one told you that YOU did not NEED to carry a handgun into the woods.:confused:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
DEC said:
Ease up man. I never told you what you NEED.

I am 110% for the freedom and the right to carry a handgun. I just don't see the NEED in the Indiana deer woods. But if you feel the NEED, then by all means do it.

Maybe I've been lucky in all my hunting travels that I've not run into the psycho in the woods. Maybe I've been lucky that in 37 years I've not run into the psycho on the streets. I'm not that paranoid I guess. I see the guys packing as they walk in to Wal-mart. Paranoia, IMO, but their right, so let them do what they want.

Lighten up. No one told you that YOU did not NEED to carry a handgun into the woods.:confused:
Oh. What was the point of your post then?

Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

Not paranoid, just prepared.

We could just go over to Hunting Indiana forums, argue there and give Woody a hard time. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
We started to have a small problem here in Indianapolis with homosexual men meeting to do their thing, and with pedofiles taking advantage of children in our state parks.

Wooded and Dark is the perfect opportunity for someone with bad intentions. Seems they feel safe.

I dont beleive the ruling was made so we can weild off animals but to protect ourselves and our families while enjoying nature.

I can think of 3 seperate occasions either camping or boating where I really felt alot more comfortable that I had a weapon close. All 3 were others acting foolish but we were in close proximity.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts