Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Id have liked to see some groups shot with the same arrow and same nocking orientation so that you could see how accurate it actually was shot to shot.

·
WapitiBob
6,935 Posts
Id have liked to see some groups shot with the same arrow and same nocking orientation so that you could see how accurate it actually was shot to shot.
if the machine is bolted to the floor so it can't move you can hit the same hole at 20 yards consistently. Friends who have the machine are getting close to 2" groups at 80. The problem becomes aiming the machine at the longer distances. I would venture a guess if you rigged up a laser you could get even better groups at distance.
You have to remember, the bow isn't rigidly held so it can move some. It doesn't take much to move an arrow 2" at 80 yards.

Only an Internet Pro can shoot tighter, more consistent groups at 80 yards. :wink:

·
On a backstrap mission!
2,040 Posts
Great vid.
Shows how much of a tool these hooter shooters can be.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
if the machine is bolted to the floor so it can't move you can hit the same hole at 20 yards consistently.
Exactly, and just a side note....the target needs to be bolted to the floor as well. If the target moves on impact or pulling arrows, the test gets hard to control.
It actually takes practice using the machine to achieve this. You need to be as consistent as possible, and remove as many variables that might influence change. A single cam is good to start with, as you get less impact if you dont draw to the same point each shot.
Im still learning mine :embara:

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
if the machine is bolted to the floor so it can't move you can hit the same hole at 20 yards consistently. Friends who have the machine are getting close to 2" groups at 80. The problem becomes aiming the machine at the longer distances. I would venture a guess if you rigged up a laser you could get even better groups at distance.
You have to remember, the bow isn't rigidly held so it can move some. It doesn't take much to move an arrow 2" at 80 yards.

Only an Internet Pro can shoot tighter, more consistent groups at 80 yards. :wink:
I have seen rifle scopes mounted on a bow for this process.

He never talks about the inserts and how they are installed.My arrow tuner has found that hotmelt,specifically Easton gives him better results at 90 meters than other glues.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Wish I could afford one...Its an item very rarely seen in the Classifieds...When I think to check there it seems one was just sold for a price I could afford

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Wish I could afford one...Its an item very rarely seen in the Classifieds...When I think to check there it seems one was just sold for a price I could afford
I keep threatening to build one but I wouldn't be able to take the time and effort to build it like what I could buy.

·
Do say when...
1,736 Posts
So the only tuning the guy did was rotate the nock, and some arrows were shooting different still? Were all the arrows grouped with same degree of nock rotation, or was each specific arrow different from the next?

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
I have a Hooter Shooter and it's well worth the money.after getting the hang of it,it really suprised me how much different arrows will impact straight out of the box.most you can tune to impact the same spot but some will never no matter what you try.it just goes to show that there is no such thing as a perfect dozen arrows.at least I havent found one yet!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I, and just about every one else, can't shoot well enough for it to matter if an arrow shoots .5" in in any direction. And in a hunting situation if your margin of error is .5" then you should not be taking the shot. Unnecessary piece of equipment for a hunter imho.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
I, and just about every one else, can't shoot well enough for it to matter if an arrow shoots .5" in in any direction. And in a hunting situation if your margin of error is .5" then you should not be taking the shot. Unnecessary piece of equipment for a hunter imho.
I disagree.that may be the case with field tips but with some broadheads it could mean a whole lot more than 5"'s.so you put 3 to 5 arrows in a quiver and you assume they're all going to hit the same spot,think again.I've found at least 2 to 3 arrows in different brands,shooting the straightest that particular company makes and still may have one fly as much as 8"'s off.some you can be fixed and some you cant.the other problem is while you are practicing and one fly's way off,you begin to think to yourself..."oh I jerked that one."
test all of your arrows on one of these and practice with the best ones and you find out how consistant you really are and also helps with broadhead tuning!!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Ever had an arrow that would not shoot a broadhead.I bet that arrow he had trouble with was THAT arrow.

Now,I agree it probably isn't neccesary for a hunter but it does show why and how we could fix such a flier.

·
Registered
532 Posts
If your arrow is 8" off its not due to your 3/1000 of an inch carbon arrow. Its due to your broad head planing and being a piece of junk. Even with a perfect arrow, which doesn't exist, it will still be off 8" if the broad head is planing. I have my bow paper tuned and I can shoot my rages out to 70yds with 6" grouping, I would never shoot at a live animal at this distance mind you. And I have shot other broad heads that did just as well and I have shot broad heads that were all over the place. Either way I know that turning my knock 180 degrees isn't going to make my arrows come back 8".

·
Registered
532 Posts
Ever had an arrow that would not shoot a broadhead.I bet that arrow he had trouble with was THAT arrow.

Now,I agree it probably isn't neccesary for a hunter but it does show why and how we could fix such a flier.
Yes I have had a few bad arrows in my day and every time it was a fletching issue. My point is in achery the most accurate and consistent thing is your arrow, I mean 1-3/1000 is pretty damn close to perfect. So if your arrows are off I'm betting it due to something other than the arrow. But if your shotting a 1/4" group and just can't get that 4th arrow to get in there and twisting your knocks gets it there, congrats. I don't have that problem.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts