Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to be long winded, but I have always been somewhat of an "over-achiever". Everything I set out to do, I go at it full tilt! This is not a bragging post, just hope it helps somebody else from making the same mistakes!

I started photography as a hobby in 1988. In 1995 I was voted one of the top 10 photographers on the internet by IFPO (International Freelance Photographers Organization). After hundreds of modeling portfolios, over 150 weddings, thousands of portraits, it became just another job and I quit in 2003.

I began writing in 2002 and turned out 2 books in 2 years. Now I seldom write because it has become just another job.

Last year I returned to archery after nearly 17 years and took a nice doe late November 2005. This year I have practiced almost every day, often over 100 shots per session, tuned my bow, matched arrows, and tinkered with sights until I had to begin shooting multiple spots at 20, 30 and 40 yards because of RHs and splintered shafts.

While shooting this morning I flinched and hit 1-1 1/2 inches above a 3" diameter spot at 40 yards. Well my first response was anger with myself for flinching! I thought, "What if that would have been at a deer!?"

Then I started listening to myself!!! That much off at 40 yards would have been a double lung instead of heart shot! How terrible!:rolleyes:

The main point is this, I will not turn archery into just another job! Its easy to do when you strive so hard for the perfection that you lose the appreciation! I began thinking that maybe this attitude has a lot to do with all the "Target Panic" threads we see here.

Good luck, good hunting, and be safe!

Thanks for being patient!
Jim

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
did anyone else get that?:confused:

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
10-4

·
Banned
6,826 Posts
what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Josh Michaelis said:
what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A little Billy Madison there I see. Compelling and rich.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
Josh Michaelis said:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

there has been a lot of people provoking that comment lately....:wink:

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
For some people...

It is very easy to be an EGOMANIAC!

Is that what you were trying to say...??:confused:

·
Electified Archer
3,275 Posts
Having been in maintenance fields for the last 30 years I think I understand what he is saying. I usually end up quiting a job after seven or eight years because there is no longer any challange, just the everyday dulldrums. This is why I don't shoot pool any more, there just wasn't any challenge after I became as good as I wanted to be. Most of us just call it "burn out".

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think what the OP is trying to say is that he doesn't want to ruin Archery and Bowhunting for himself by trying to be "perfect" because perfection just doesn't exist. Excellence however does. When he was talking about flinching and hitting 1 1/2 high he means that he wasn't perfect but it would have been a killing shot regardless. Often times we practice so hard and stress so much about tuning our bows, spinning arrows, adjusting sights, etc. that it becomes a chore instead of a passion and it loses its luster and fun. My take on the original post. I could be way off base. However....

This is damn funny!!! :cocktail:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Josh Michaelis said:
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Thank you. I needed that this morning.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The post made perfect sense to me. I am a perfectionist, which causes me to get really frustrated with both jobs and hobbies. I have been applying that attitude toward archery. I've only been shooting for a couple of months, and gosh darn it...the arrow never makes it into the center of that little square. I shoot every night and am so mad by the time I'm through, I never want to pick the bow back up. His post made me realize that I enjoy shooting, so what if it doesn't go dead center every time...I'll get better!!

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
BagginBigguns said:
One time on my second shot, I didn't get a Robinhood. I was ticked. :mad:

:juggle:
I had that same thing happen to me.

I was sure I had that 95 yard pin "zeroed" in. I think I just put too much pressure on myself and I am going to lay it all out there.....I NEED HELP! :Cry: :noidea:

·
177 5/8"
2,102 Posts
danimal7802 said:
I had that same thing happen to me.

I was sure I had that 95 yard pin "zeroed" in. I think I just put too much pressure on myself and I am going to lay it all out there.....I NEED HELP! :Cry: :noidea:
Just remember, Daniel Son: Time heals all wounds. It's common for Hoyt shooters to go through Robinhood dry-spells. At a time such as this, it's imperative that you keep trying. Get a few 100 more consecutive 95-yard Robinhoods under your belt, and your non-Robinhood will be just a distant memory - mere campfire fodder, a story to tell your grandkids.

:spit:

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
BagginBigguns said:
Just remember, Daniel Son: Time heals all wounds. It's common for Hoyt shooters to go through Robinhood dry-spells. At a time such as this, it's imperative that you keep trying. Get a few 100 more consecutive 95-yard Robinhoods under your belt, and your non-Robinhood will be just a distant memory - mere campfire fodder, a story to tell your grandkids.

:spit:

I think that is the problem Maddog....I don't shoot a Hoyt anymore...I have ditched my Miaggi...so sad...:cry:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts