Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have been researching google and there really isn't but a few old posts on here about this topic. I am just getting into this stuff and I have yet to find some definitive answers. I want a horse bow for speed shooting / hunting.

I found this video on YouTube and it was freaking amazing. I want to do this: http://youtu.be/1o9RGnujlkI
But what kind/style of bow is this? And what kind of arrows?

What I have found so far:

I really like Grozer's Assyrian bow, the Assyrian Extra III Composite - http://www.grozerarchery.com/index_b.htm

Saluki himself recommended his Damascus model which I really do like - http://www.salukibow.com/31.html

Kassai was also recommended by Saluki if I couldn't afford his, he wasn't too fond of Grozer, yet the Grozer look is more appealing to me than Kassai due to the fact that their website has
horrible tiny pictures of his bows and I can't tell what they really look like.

I can't get a call back from Ed, the rep for Kassai here in the US.

I have heard about Magyar bows from 3 Rivers Archery but can't find any reviews - http://search.3riversarchery.com/search#w=exotic bows

I have talked with Seven Meadows Archery here in the US, they deal with Istvan Toth bows, also from Hungary... they are extremely nice people, but I'm not really into the leather wrapped look. However, she really talked highly of the new Avar bow, so it is a consideration - http://www.sevenmeadowsarchery.com/store/c43/Avar.html

I am interested in speedshooting, I am tall, 6'2 long arms, and I want a bow I can also hunt with. Saluki recommended a 35lb to start. I also have 3 children that I want to teach to shoot with a horsebow, he recommended 25# for them.. I also need to know about arrows made specifically for speed shooting as well!

Can anyone help me!!!

Thanks,
Micah

·
Registered
374 Posts
Salukis are on another level compared to Grozers or Kassais, much more refined, better craftsmanship and performance but also more $$. I've owned several Saluki's and shot various Grozers and Kassais but the Saluki's are a far better value even though they cost more.

Kaya's are also good performers and low priced as is the Samick SKB and Mind.

Speed shooting with accuracy takes a ton of practice and technique is more important than the type of arrow. Any arrow of any material wil work as long as its spined for the bow. A mock with a wider throat might help with speed but familiarity with your equipment is more important.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really do like the Saluki bows, has anyone shot the Damascus? Also, any recommendations for good youth bows? I have 3 girls and I don't want them learning on a crappy bow, something decent, but not too expensive...

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Salukis are on another level compared to Grozers or Kassais, much more refined, better craftsmanship and performance
X2 on nmlongbow, I have a Ibex and Turk both great bows in every area.

Another bow to consider is is the Korean range of Kaya bows, not as refined as Saluki but I hear the performance and price is great.

http://archery.ixpesports.nl/contents/en-uk/d1131_Korean_Bow.html

I have some Kaya ILF limbs on the way to me, I have some wood/carbon Tropics but tried a friends Storm limbs and was so impressed I ordered a set for myself. Kaya is a reputable brand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got through checking out the Samick Mind bow as referenced above. It has pretty awesome reviews too. Have you ever heard of those? What's your opinion between Kaya and Samick? Also, if I were to order a Saluki bow, it would just be on blind faith since I haven't ever shot one. I'm leaning towards Samick for my children and possibly me as well until I order the Saluki. Opinions?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
X2 on nmlongbow, I have a Ibex and Turk both great bows in every area.

Another bow to consider is is the Korean range of Kaya bows, not as refined as Saluki but I hear the performance and price is great.

http://archery.ixpesports.nl/contents/en-uk/d1131_Korean_Bow.html

I have some Kaya ILF limbs on the way to me, I have some wood/carbon Tropics but tried a friends Storm limbs and was so impressed I ordered a set for myself. Kaya is a reputable brand.

You'll really like the Storm's. Picked up a set a couple weeks back for my Titan III. 28lb longs making 34 on my 19 inch riser. Smooth out to my 29 inch draw with zero stacking. Every bit as good as the Samick Extreme 2 limbs I had on it. Got them for a slightly lighter weight to use on spots.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I got a SF riser and 36# Storm limbs for a newbie and set the bow up for him, I told him just to shoot the bow as is for 2-3 weeks and then maybe start to tweak the tune for his own feel, he didn't listen and played with the tune, he came back a week later complaining he was shooting right all the time, I reset back to original setup with some bareshaft tuning and started to stack arrows at 30y, I told him to leave the bow as is for the moment, it shoots great. After stacking arrows like that the first thing that went through my mind after I handed the bow back was "I'm gonna get a set of these limbs for Indoors" I have some 36# coming, intersting thing is with CT Cheetahs and 36# Tropics I get the same 60y point on as my 42# Border CV's and my Easton C1's, so I ordered at set of Cheetah's as well think it will turn into a nice WA3D setup (33y max) as well as an Indoor setup. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome shooting! You said that is a Saluki Turk? those are like 2500+ ... maybe something to shoot for in the future, but a little rich for my blood right now. So I am guessing that I myself should probably lean towards either a Saluki Damascus, or some kind of Kassai. For my kids, the Samick Mind 50? or Kaya? I am guessing everyones opinion is that if I myself were to choose between Grozer and Kassai, pick Kassai. If I were to choose between Kassai and Saluki, pick Saluki?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Steve,
You make shooting that short bow look easy!!! HA! I had a 54" glass Turk that was in the 45ish range. I thought it was one of the coolest bows I had ever seen (right there with the IBEX). I am shooting much longer, lighter bows these days.

Have a great day,
Kasey

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
That Turk was in the 50# and shot it split finger, it was the most FUN bow I ever shot, never fails to put a smile on my face. I don't shot wood bows much tendon damage in my bow hand makes it uncomfortable after a couple of days and cripples me after a few weeks, I stick to ILF and bowslings these days to shoot pain free.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I like the Attila bows....

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Steve, what exact make and model is your glass backed Turk? And price range? Also, couldn't you do a lighter draw# to help with the pain... why wouldn't you drop to an 35 or 40#?
Between $850 and $950 depending on the grip. http://www.salukibow.com/15.html

It's not the draw weight it's the hand shock, any wood bow that I have to grip i.e Longbow, Horsebow etc causes issues, the ring finger on my bow hand locks in a closed position (feels like cramp when it happens) if I clench into a fist. The first time it happened was morning of WA3D World champs in Austria, I shot all day with hand locked, a Lithuanian Physio released it for me and showed me how to for future issues, although it was released the pain was intense whenever I shot, made it through to final 8 shooters but wasn't upset when I was eliminated from next round.

Just something I have to accept (old age lol) I can shoot ILF bows and having a blast Stringwalking (won Euro champs in June)

This is me playing with the Ibex at home on a blustery day.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts