Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I shoot a 35# youth takedown recurve bow. Recently I've been thinking about upgrading to something with a heavier draw weight, and also something that's a little more traditional.
I was considering a longbow, and as nice as those are, I noticed I'm not really comfortable shooting something that tall. Mostly because I like to move around, and since I'm clumsy, the longer
bows tend to bump against things. So, I think a horse bow (or short bow) would be ideal for me. I heard that those usually tend to have lighter draw weights. So, question is, if I were to
get a 60# horse bow, would that be alright? Also, stores such a Cabelas and Bass Pro don't have horse bows. Does anyone know a good place I could get one? Preferably from a trustworthy seller
if it's online.

Thanks! :)
Sorry for any mistakes, I've only been shooting for three years from pretty much the same few bows. c:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Saluki and Grozer have some pretty nice looking horse bows but going from 35 to 60 pounds might be a little too much. If there is any way you could try a few different draw weights, that would be good for seeing how much you can comfortably shoot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a Samick Mind 50. Draw weight is 45#. It is a beautiful example of a Korean bow. Probably one of the few you will find that is a carbon bow. The only issue I would warn against (and I think it is the same for virtually all ultra short bows) is that it really stacks at the end if you have a long draw length. The mind 50 has a max draw length of 29. My draw length is exactly 29. At full draw, feels like I am holding way more than 45#. Perhaps 55# if I were to guess. Makes me wish I had gotten a 30# horse bow since it is just for fun (not hunting)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Oddly, one of the big issues with Asiatics is stringing. Can't use stringers, not really. You pretty much have to step through, and you'll find that you can only comfortably string about 2/3 what you can comfortably draw. I'd really recommend 45# or lower for a new Asiatic users, even for otherwise experienced archers.

Flagella Dei (Hungary - http://traditionalbowshop.com/) makes very good, workmanlike bows. Prices are reasonable, though shipping is expensive. FD bows typically need a bit of cleanup - but that's not uncommon even with mass produced recurves. I figure pretty much any bow I get is going to get a fine grain sanding, string nock refinement, and at least one coat of polyurethane. I've dealt with them directly several times. My son and I have seven of their bows. One Magyar I purchased from them a couple of years back failed on about the 20th shot - and they stood by their warranty and shipped a replacement at no cost to me. Good people. I frequently shoot an FD Magyar, and one of their Hun bows (black poplar - very pretty) is the most efficient bow I own in terms of speed vs. draw weight.

There is a guy in the US - http://attilasarchery.com/ - who makes interesting stuff, again for reasonable prices. I have no experience with him. But I've never seen anything negative online.

Stepping up a bit in price, Grozer http://www.grozerarchery.com/ Hungary makes nice stuff. Dealing with them is very informal, and feels a bit like entering into a business arrangement with the widow of a deceased Nigerian finance minister - but it seems to work for everyone. My son and I each have a Grozer.

Alibow (Zhang Li, China) makes nice, reasonably priced stuff too. He sells as longbowmaker on Ebay and Amazon. I have a couple of Zhang Li bows. Not barn burners, speedwise, but his laminated stuff is nice.

With any of these, make sure you are looking at "composite" or "laminate" bows. A lot of Asiatics - pretty much anything that doesn't use these terms - have solid glass limbs. Those are sturdy, but performance is about the same as a wood / glass laminate 10# lighter.

Also - just expect that you are going to have to replace the string to get decent performance. For reasons that elude me completely, nothing from Hungary or China comes with a decent string. If you have horn reinforced siyahs, get a fastflight string. If not, then dacron. Either way, you will see a 10-30 fps improvement in speed with a decent string.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have 3 of Attila's Archery bows, 2 Hungarian and an exotic hunting bow. Very happy with all three. Prices good and quick delivery times. Made in USA by a real Hungarian as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts