Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for any suggestions or tips from people who know on horseback riding. Going on a guided elk hunt and it's been many years since i've been on a horse.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Try and find a place to go and ride some before you go. The more you ride the easier it will be.The less sore you will get . Do lots of jumping jack type exercises to help stretch those groin muscles!! Be relaxed!!and have fun.
I made a bow scabbard that hangs over the saddle horn . Keeps my hands free to handle the pack horses etc. although you shouldn't have to worry about any horse but the one you are on it is a lot nicer if you aren't having to hold your bow all day.
Most outfitter horses are pretty reliable. Just bee stings and grizzlies....... : :smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Best advice I can give you is go riding at least 4-5 times or more, before your hunt. Also make sure they don't adjust your stirrups to short or long. You should have approx 1.5" between the saddle and your rear. wearing under armour or silk long johns should help you from getting rubbed raw.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Yeah im going to start learning how to ride here sometime this week I hope. Lived in Montana all my life but never been on a horse :eek: Sad thing is im only 2 miles or less inside of town limits, if only we lived on the other side of the line...
Yeah outfitter horses are the best you'll find but they have to be though to be able to be rode by people from the city or non horse people.
Also you'll probably be around the horses alot so Id do what i did and go to google and get a diagram of a horse with all its parts labeled along with a bride and saddle and work on knowing your parts of horse and tackle, not a bad idea.
Hey Saddle, im thinking about getting a saddle here in the near future so when I start working for an outfitter I got something im used to sitting in. What do i need to look for in a good long distance riding saddle?

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
AJ008 said:
Hey Saddle, im thinking about getting a saddle here in the near future so when I start working for an outfitter I got something im used to sitting in. What do i need to look for in a good long distance riding saddle?
As much as this is not what you want to hear, it is more important for the saddle to fit the horse than it is for you to be comfortable in the saddle.

Most saddles fit most people the same as long as the seat size is correct and the stirrup length is right.

The biggest thing you can do to get comfortable in the saddle is to ride, ride, ride. Learn the position of the legs, how to communicate with the horse and just generally getting used to riding.

About the only thing with certainty that I will caution you against is a tree-less saddle. Unless you are barrel racing you dont need that close of contact against the horse.

Best of luck and trust me, throw a leg over a horse once and you will be hooked for life. :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
Keep a leg on either side and your mind in the middle.
I would definitely ride a few times before you go. Your backside and your legs will be much more comfortable if you do. If you have never ridden a few basic lessons from someone knowledgable will help you avoid a train wreck later. Your guide will also be much happier if you do. It is hard to give a riding lesson going up a side of a mountain hauling packhorses. Be upfront and honest with your guide as well, as to the amount of riding experience you have. good luck You are going to have a great time.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Best advice I can give you is to keep your hands off the horses mouth with the bit in his mouth. I see so many inexperienced riders that think they have to have death grip on the reins thus constantly pulling on the bit in the horses mouth.

The horse fights the entire time and the rider cannot understand why they are having a problem.

Leave just enough slack that you can pick up the slack when needed. If the reins are not tied in a knot, then tie one yourself with the neccessary slack in it then let the horse decide the path. They usually stay behind the horse in front of them. Balance your weight for the horse has he steps down slopes or up. Then don't shift your weight in an instant while he is trying to navigate a decent.

Enjoy. Ranchdog

·
Registered
322 Posts
Aj

AJ as far as getting a saddle look for a used "cowboyin' rig." Often is better to find a reputable saddlemaker to deal with than a feed store that sells tons of saddles but not much quality. There is a huge difference in saddles as far as comfort and fit for both the horse and the rider. Get some knowledgeable help.

PS about half of my saddles go to customers in the US however they start at about $3400UShttp://www.knightssaddlery.com

·
Registered
322 Posts
Aj

AJ as far as getting a saddle look for a used "cowboyin' rig." Often is better to find a reputable saddlemaker to deal with than a feed store that sells tons of saddles but not much quality. There is a huge difference in saddles as far as comfort and fit for both the horse and the rider. Get some knowledgeable help.

PS about half of my saddles go to customers in the US however they start at about $3400US

1 - 11 of 11 Posts