Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about this bow?

Would it be good enough for a beginner? It will not be used for hunting.

·
Archery Coach
23,297 Posts
Doc Holliday said:
Does anyone know anything about this bow?

Would it be good enough for a beginner? It will not be used for hunting.

sure, it will be fine for TP or 3D Its a decent bow. Other than the recurve steelforce most of Horton's bows are plenty good. Since I am not (off the top of my head) current on the years of manufacture make sure you don't have one of the recalled Horton bows-they had a major issue with the limb mounting a couple years ago leading to a massive recall

I will try to find some better information

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim.

I remember reading somewhere about that recall but I don't remember exactly which model it was. The Legend? Maybe?

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Here you go..

VOLUNTARY PRODUCT RECALL
October 2004

Horton Manufacturing Company, Inc. has determined that, under certain circumstances, the limb mounting system on certain select models of Horton Crossbows manufactured in 2004 may become unsafe. The Horton Crossbow models that may be susceptible to this condition are easily identifiable and Horton will remedy the condition without charge.

The Horton crossbow models that are covered by this Product Recall are:
· Model CB610 - Hunter Max 175 Bow (Serial Numbers below D 23,000)
·Model CB625 - Hunter Max 175 Bow Package (Serial Numbers below D 23,000)
·Model CB710 - Legend XL 175 Bow (Serial Numbers below E 64,000)
·Model CB705 - Legend XL 175 Bow Package (Serial Numbers below E 64,000)
·Model CB805 - Explorer TR 175 Bow Package (Serial Numbers below I 77,200)

All of these Horton crossbow models are easily identifiable as having only one limb-mounting bolt per limb (two mounting bolts per crossbow). The Serial Number is located on the right hand side of the crossbow stock near the front of the crossbow.

Horton urges you NOT to use any of the Horton crossbow models identified above to avoid any chance of serious injury to yourself or to others.

To return your crossbow model to Horton Manufacturing Company, Inc. for immediate inspection, repair or replacement with new upgraded mounting system components, simply contact a Horton Customer Service Representative through the Horton Manufacturing website WWW.HORTONMFG.COM for immediate response, or by telephone (toll-free) or Fax:

WWW.HORTONMFG.COM Toll Free: 1 (800) 551-7468 Fax: (330) 633-7751

Please have your complete mailing address, crossbow model and serial number available when you contact Horton Customer Service. Please do not return your crossbow to Horton Manufacturing Company, Inc. without first contacting a Customer Service Representative.

No other Horton crossbow models or other products are covered by this recall. This notification applies only to the crossbow models and serial numbers set forth above.
http://www.crossbow.com/recall-form.aspx

·
Registered
69 Posts
Doc - I have not held one in my hands since Saturday! It's a great bow and it is an excellent hunting bow. When determining draw weights, 150#, 165#, 175#, 200# or 225#, one must ask themselves, "How far do I want to walk to retrieve my arrow after it has passed through my animal?" A 150# crossbow will kill a whitetail just as dead as a 200# bow. Plus it is easier to practice with, eaiser to maintain and will experience less wear and tear than the more powerful models. It is plain and simple "more user friendly"!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Much obliged Willie. :beer:

Like I said, it will only be used for target/fun shooting. I'm not sure I will like it since I have never tried one. But if it's as fun as shooting anything else, I'll probably be jumping in with both feet soon. :D

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I got one a month ago and will be using it for whitetails. So far it is great.

Get the 2005 so you have the Talon trigger. This is a sweet bow package for the money, and Bass Pro has them on sale for $319!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Orion6 said:
I got one a month ago and will be using it for whitetails. So far it is great.

Get the 2005 so you have the Talon trigger. This is a sweet bow package for the money, and Bass Pro has them on sale for $319!

Talon trigger. Gotcha.

319? Now that is right up my alley. :wink:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Doc I used the 150 last year to kill a 6PT.Used 2216 and muzzy broad heads. Complete pass thur.It was my first year of Xbow hunting since i went on disabilty.I was very pleased with Xbow.I am sure you will enjoy yours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts