Archery Talk Forum banner

Hostage wear and tuning

744 Views 10 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Messer85
Does anyone have problems with the Hostage brushes wearing once your bow is tuned? Starting with the rest at the center position I get tight groups, but when I tune it by walking back, my shots drift to the right (still tight groups) at increasing yardage. I moved the rest left until the drift was eliminated. Now I am noticing uneven wear on the lower brush as if the shaft is wearing on the right side of the bristles. My arrow flight looks good with no obvious clearance issues.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? What is the lifespan for these brushes?

My bow is a 2008 Martin Saber with M-pro cams shooting 29" 100g Terminator Lites @ 60 lbs.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Good luck with your rest. I had one on my bow and so did my fiance' and I sold them both on ebay. You will be better off selling it and getting a Whisker Biscuit if you want the brush style of rest. The brushes will wear out fast regardless of how you set it up!

· Registered
725 Posts
TNhunter-
Everyone I've talked to has had a problem with the brushes wearing down and there are at least a couple dozen posts like yours on AT. Try this once before tossing your hostage in the trash. If your bottom brush is too worn out to shoot consistently, then buy a replacement set of brushes. Put a small dab of glue on the bottom bristle and smooth it out. That should take care of it. I have had my hostage for a little under a year now and I had the same problem as you at first. I've been shooting hard for months now and my brushes look like new. Hope this helps! -Chris

· Registered
5 Posts
I have had problems with brushes wearing out also. When i first noticed this I thought mabey it was due to poor tuning. After paper tuning my bow and shooting alot the brushes still seem to wear out. My dad shoots a wisker biscut and has never had any problems, I think the brushes on WB's hold up longer. I have decided to switch to a drop away rest.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for y'alls input. I may switch to a WB or Nap Freedom in the future. For now, I'll try to swap or replace the brushes on my Hostage and see how it does. I'm still not sure why the bottom brush is wearing more one one side though.

· Registered
7,265 Posts
It's my belief

That if your bow is set up reasonably well, the bottom brush will wear first.

I've never shot this rest, but have been tempted. I'm a biscuit guy.

The arrow should always have a little down force on it during the draw, and, I presume at the loose. I would be very concerned if the other brushes were wearing.

Best of luck to you.

· Registered
295 Posts
wear

replaced mine two weeks ago with a fall away, went through three sets of brushes since Dec. even tried the glue on the bottom brush, on one of the new black bristled ones as a matter of fact, still wore down very quickly, what kind of glue are others using? liked the rest other than the wear, but now I don't think about my point of impact changing from the wear. if they could come up with a bristle that would not wear so fast would recommend this rest to anyone, but if you shoot a lot then it would be better to look at something else.

· Registered
27 Posts
On the two upper brushes, do you have them in contact with the arrow shaft?
mine have a 1/16" gap on each side of the arrow. my dealer replaced the brushes that came with the rest the day i bought it with some"pig hair" brushes. So I have 4 red brushes and another black one for spares.

· Registered
37 Posts
I just noticed the same problem on mine Saturday night while I was shooting for the next morning. I switched my top left one around to the bottom because it was untouched and then I had to readjust my sight after that, it was pretty frustrating. Hopefully the trick mentioned about the glue with work, if not..I'll be looking for a biscuit as well..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.