Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does hot glue really work to install inserts? I made a few up like this and the inserts just pulled out latter. I'm trying to find something that will allow me to reuse the inserts should the arrow break. Maybe I didn't put enough on there.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
I’ve never used “hot” glue, but I’ve used “cool temp” glue. It works the same as hot glue, but it has a lower melting point. In my experience, you have to be quick because it literally dries in less than 5 seconds. With that being said, I’ve yet to have an insert pull out. Now, got glue could be the same, but I’ve yet to try true hot glue.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Rough up the inside of the shaft with a gun cleaning brush, then clean inside of shaft and insert with denatured alcohol and a q-tip.

There are several hot melt glues available that melt at a lower temperature than the old bohning ferrule-tite. AMG and the one big jims archery carries both work good.

If you need to remove one after gluing, only heat the field tip and just enough to remove it. You don't want carbon to get too hot. I even dip them in a glass of water after installing to cool the arrow faster.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Rough up the inside of the shaft with a gun cleaning brush, then clean inside of shaft and insert with denatured alcohol and a q-tip.

There are several hot melt glues available that melt at a lower temperature than the old bohning ferrule-tite. AMG and the one big jims archery carries both work good.

If you need to remove one after gluing, only heat the field tip and just enough to remove it. You don't want carbon to get too hot. I even dip them in a glass of water after installing to cool the arrow faster.
Good to know, I never had any luck with hot glue and carbon. I'll give that a try sometime. I always liked how you can heat the glue up alittle and tune my broadheads. Thx

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I've been using it on carbons since the '80's on my GT's. Some very simple prep work, alcohol on a Q-tip in the shaft. Put a target point in the insert and hold it over the gas stove with a pair of pliers while rubbing the glue stick generously on the insert. Any excess will be forced out the front. Lately, I've been using the lower temp sticks but In the past I've used plenty of the higher temp. Once inserted, I remove the tip and just let it cool. Rarely do I ever lose one.

·
Registered
10,268 Posts
II use the low-temp glue from Wal-Mart and actually use a low-temp glue gun- Shoot a little into the shaftand slide the point in while twisting. Actually still get a little to squeeze out the joint so I don't fear lack of coverage, and in the couple years I've been doing it this way I've lost one point that I actually shot into wood, and one point in one of the Vegas bales just as a reminder that the BlindArcher was there [one of the first batch I ever did, and my normal go-to arrows for practice- lots of abuse].

·
Registered
22,008 Posts
Have used hot melt since 1959 on wood,aluminum, glass & Carbon & have never had a problem.
Like said procedure is the key, cleaning & heat on metal is the main key.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I have found that Saunders hunt bond from lancaster is the best i have used. Never lost an insert or point with it. The walmart stuff not as good for me

·
Registered
151 Posts
Does hot glue really work to install inserts? I made a few up like this and the inserts just pulled out latter. I'm trying to find something that will allow me to reuse the inserts should the arrow break. Maybe I didn't put enough on there.

Go to Lancasterarchery.com and get you some AAE Max Impact Adhesive!

Text Product Font Website Web page

·
Registered
260 Posts
ive used the blue cool melt and have lost a few points and have been tightening broadheads and have the insert twist on more than a few, I started using insert iron and have yet to have one move on me, it takes like 3 days to cure which is much longer than im used to, I used it on some ethics archery outserts and didn't really care for them, first one I tried to remove with a small torch and split the very end a bit so I put all the arrows in boiling hot water for a few minutes and they all pulled out pretty easy had one or two fight me but great if your like me and constantly change point weight till you find what you like

·
Registered
270 Posts
I used standard cheap hot melt and have abused the heck out of 3 different arrow and insert combos. Never lost an insert that didn't hit something hard and destroy the arrow first. Bronze bore brush, alcohol swab, heat insert and stick, rub on push in and dunk in water. Works great and have even reused some from broken arrows in new shafts.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Hoyt Carbon Defiant / Fast Eddie / Trophy Taker / Nock-2-it
15 Posts
Hmmm, I'm sure there are other threads on this - but I've had like inserts come out that a hot glued in (to carbon arrows). Haven't heard of doing that prep work before, so maybe that's the case. OTOH, maybe I should just go for the full adhesive - not sure pulling the inserts out will ever be useful.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts