Archery Talk Forum banner

Hot the biggest buck of my life tonight....

18840 Views 153 Replies 111 Participants Last post by  jtkratzer
Shot the biggest buck of my life tonight. 70 lb halon at 28" draw shooting a 440 grain easton injexion with a D6 slick trick. Not sure exactly where I hit him but I'm thinking shoulder blade. Shot was 35 yards and I was 25 feet above the deer in elevation. The shot sounded like a meaty thwack and litterally took the deer off its feet. Found the arrow 50 yards away and the insert had littetally pulled out of the arrow so its still in the deer. We tracked it about 300 yards with consistant good blood. Blood on brush was about 3' off the ground. My friend thinks it walked by him 100 yards away right at the end of legal and said it was going extremely slow. Like took 5 minutes to go 50 yards. Thought he might have heard a crash or at least crunching..

Million dollar question. Do I have a dead deer?
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

· Registered
2,730 Posts
300yrds is a long way and if you only got one lung it may go further. Good thing you backed out.
Get out there tomorrow first light with a dog and you maybe able to recover it.

· Registered
5,495 Posts
Looking forward to your recovery. Let is know when you find him.

Bobby

· Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think he's a 160+ in main frame 10 with 3 extra points in his brow tines and one kicker off the side of his main beam.

· Registered
8,611 Posts
HOPE you find him. How long did you wait till you started tracking him originally? THAT is the Million Dollar question?

· Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Waited 2 hours to track him but it had gone right where it would have had it been the deer my buddy saw. We stoped a good 300 yards short of where he saw him last.

· Registered
8,611 Posts
well, hope he is sitting in his death bed tonight and bleeding out. I think that hunters in general don't realize how far a wounded deer can run in a matter of seconds. Far enough that the trail goes dry and the hunter can never find him again in way to many cases. I wait 4-5 hours to do any tracking at all UNLESS I see the deer drop and die from my stand. That 4-5 hours is hard to wait, but it might be the difference between finding him and not. Some say to wait 8 or more hours, and perhaps that is a good plan. Hard to say. HOpe 2 hours was enough. If he's walked slowly 600 yards, then that is one alive deer still.
Waited 2 hours to track him but it had gone right where it would have had it been the deer my buddy saw. We stoped a good 300 yards short of where he saw him last.

· Registered
1,502 Posts
Get a dog it will save you hours and countless what ifs and I wonder if...

· Registered
8,611 Posts
That is a good idea. HOWEVER, before that, I'd give it a look in the morning, and if he isn't found fast, then I'd have that dog tracker waiting in the wings to get right on it. I'd be looking up tracker services now. I keep the name of 3 trackers in my part of my state at all times, just in case. We found a liver shot deer a few years back using a dog tracker service here in Michigan. WOULD have never found that deer without the dog, simple as that. The guy that shot this deer said it was the best $250 he ever spent on hunting when they found that buck. HOPE you find him in the early morning, all nice and tighty for you. Be sure to post lots of photos ASAP. Good luck...

Get a dog it will save you hours and countless what ifs and I wonder if...

· Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is my thought process that sound that since the broadhead litterally pulled out at the insert that it probably penetrated through any bone it may have hit? I would assume that if it just stuck in a bine that it would have just fallen out with the broadhead. Also does my setup have the power to break bone?

1 - 20 of 154 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.