Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 PSE Nock on Embark
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been shooting for about a month and have been improving quite a bit. If I can get any tips or advice on how to improve my form is greatly appreciated. I always check my feet that they’re square and draw an imaginary line on the ground so that they are even. I’ve been fidgeting with my grip and am now shooting tighter groups with no death grip haha. It took a few days to stop that habit besides that’s just been trying to take my time and really focus on form. I’m starting to work on holding longer and less target anxiety

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Ain't bad better than most but first put a arrow in that thing before your posting about how you blew up your bow.
Grip could use a l work,

Reactions: Beatmebad

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Doesnt look to bad. Your slightly rocked back on your right hip, need to straighten up your T very slightly.

Draw length looks good.

As others have said, dont draw without a arrow knocked. It's cheaper to fix a arrow hole in the wall then it is to fix a dry fired bow. I know from experience.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Stand up straight and level. Your leaning back, bow shoulder and arm is too low. Your draw (right) shoulder and arm is too high. You want both shoulders level, and your body stranding straight up. The arms and the center line of your body should form a T.
Rotate your bow hand, so the pinky is going away from the bow. Put the pad of your hand (the base of the thumb) against the grip and curl the middle, ring and pinky fingers into the palm of your hand. Have only the thumb and 1st finger going around the grip area, with thumb and finger very loose. You also need to put a wrist sling on the bow, so you don't drop your bow.

·
Registered
20,997 Posts
Gunna need to drop the DL 1-1.5" and get your hips over your feet and your shoulders over your hips. In the short term, if you feel like you're leaning forwards, you might be standing straight.

Reactions: Beatmebad

·
Registered
2021 PSE Nock on Embark
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gunna need to drop the DL 1-1.5" and get your hips over your feet and your shoulders over your hips. In the short term, if you feel like you're leaning forwards, you might be standing straight.
Does my draw length look to be long? It’s at 26” currently

·
Registered
2021 PSE Nock on Embark
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the tips I greatly appreciate it and will get to work on fixing my form and improving it

·
Registered
20,997 Posts
Does my draw length look to be long? It’s at 26” currently
When a person leans back as much as you're doing there, it moves their head back farther from their front hand. This makes it seem like a person's draw length is longer than it actually is. You can see this easily if you put your hand on a wall and leave it there while leaning your head and shoulders back. You can actually keep your hand on the wall while your head moves farther away. It's not actually growing your width, just changing the angle of your torso and neck/head.

Most people that lean back like that have their bow set too long and if you were to stand up straight, while your hand will move forwards too, your head will move more and the string will come well back on your face and your release hand will float behind your head with nothing to anchor to. You'll need to shorten the DL to get things back where they should be for a solid anchor and repeatable shot.

·
(aka lug nut)
51,267 Posts
I’ve been shooting for about a month and have been improving quite a bit. If I can get any tips or advice on how to improve my form is greatly appreciated. I always check my feet that they’re square and draw an imaginary line on the ground so that they are even. I’ve been fidgeting with my grip and am now shooting tighter groups with no death grip haha. It took a few days to stop that habit besides that’s just been trying to take my time and really focus on form. I’m starting to work on holding longer and less target anxiety View attachment 7438372
1) ALWAYS load an arrow.

2) form is pretty bad. Major issues. Seriously. Not kidding. After you load up an arrow, and stand in front of a target, find a blank wall, without a table/desk blocking the view of your legs and shoes.

So, find a blank wall.
Put on shoes.
Tape the camera phone to a ladder, so the camera phone lens is at ARROW height.

On the blank wall behind you, stick some masking tape ABOVE shoulder height, DEAD LEVEL strip of tape.
So, next photo you take, with the arrow at FULL draw, redo the photo as MANy times as you need to,
to get the arrow DEAD parallel to the tape on the blank wall behind you. This means get the bow hand HIGH enough, so that the arrow is also DEAD LEVEL.

So, while you get the bow hand high enough to get the arrow DEAD LEVEL,
redo the photo as many times as you need to, to get the HEIGHT of the tops of BOTH shoulders also DEAD LEVEL.

Two level shoulders.
LEVEL arrow.
Top of bow hand thumb at the SAME height as two level shoulders.
VERTICAL backbone.

These are your goals for the next photo.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Doesnt look to bad. Your slightly rocked back on your right hip, need to straighten up your T very slightly.

Draw length looks good.

As others have said, dont draw without a arrow knocked. It's cheaper to fix a arrow hole in the wall then it is to fix a dry fired bow. I know from experience.
This...and nice tattoo on the right arm !!

·
Registered
2021 PSE Nock on Embark
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is your BEFORE and AFTER photo.

ALL body parts are only five inches out of position.

View attachment 7438424
Thank you, I read everything that you left me and will be sure to put in sometime on form. I’ll be unable to shoot for about two weeks. So I’ll just be practicing my form for a bit and work on all the information and flaws in my form you pointed out

1 - 16 of 16 Posts