Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
Man, I am far from a pronghorn expert, but that guy is high, thick, has looong hooks, and from the angle he looks like he has some NICE cutters on him. That is definitely a book buck and then some, good luck this fall.

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
I'd say that speed goat's horns are 10-12 inches.He is barely double the length of his ears.Use there ears for a measuring tool.If you find a goat that is more than 2 times the length of his ears he is a record book buck.However nice pic... :)

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
I don't know, if you look at how far back his tips curl I do believe he doubles his ears and then some.

·
DefiantShooter
10,972 Posts
Swack!!!

Nice!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Its hard to say how good a buck that is with out seeing him from the side. The length of the horn has less to do with the score than the mass. Mass is what makes a goat score high. I would bet that buck scores around 72-73.
Good buck.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Deezlin said:
Have you ever hunted with a bow? I took one in NM with a rifle. I think it is better than deer meat!!!
Never have hunted pronghorns with anything, but have the opportunity to this year. So, is the meat good table fare or is it rutty like some whitetail bucks?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The buck is a sure book animal, but mass will determine how high. I've harvested several that will qualify & hunt them every year for what it's worth. Great hunt & probably my favorite animal to hunt.
The meat is great if they're handled correctly & is pretty close to elk. Just gotta get them cooled down quick and keep them clean.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
tmarch said:
The buck is a sure book animal, but mass will determine how high. I've harvested several that will qualify & hunt them every year for what it's worth. Great hunt & probably my favorite animal to hunt.
The meat is great if they're handled correctly & is pretty close to elk. Just gotta get them cooled down quick and keep them clean.
Thanks for the info, that is probably why guys goof up the meat, they do not cool it off quick enough. By the way, here is the other one I got a picture of.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.