Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for every person out there that have told another hunter that they needed a Hunter Safety System.

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/articles/harnesstest/

This is for everyone that has told someone "your not that bright (for better terms) for not using a harness!"

http://www.suspensiontrauma.info/
http://www.osha.gov/dts/shib/shib032404.html

I am not trying to stir the pot here or debate which is safer. And I will not defend my stance either. The choice is that of the hunter. I feel some hunters simply saw the add and thought "man I need that!" without researching the subject.

Falling sucks ... plain and simple. But for those that choose not to use please do not beraid them that they are stupid or making the wrong decision.

I my self take other measures to ensure that my stand is top condition and replace bolts and straps annually if not 3 times a year. And once worked with an arborist company and there are better ways to keep from falling in the first place.

At the end of the day accidents happen, just ensure the accident you incur is not one you could have avoided by using good equipment.

· Registered
2,946 Posts
I guess all i can say is I would rather give myself a fighting chance by hanging than by falling and dieing on impact.

· Registered
902 Posts
I've never had experience with the HSS but from the pics provided on the bowsite.com page it appears as though the lower portion of the vest was not thought out. Come on now, a single strap running down the crack of your behind and up either side of the crotch looks painfull without falling.

· Registered
92 Posts
I believe that they have changed the HSS a bit now. It uses a strap around the upper part of each thigh, and the straps connect to the harness on the sides, not up the butt like previoius models. I plan on buying a HSS in the next week or two.

edit: any idea how old that article is?

· Registered
261 Posts
was about to buy one of the HSS's to switch up my factory ones...NOT ANYMORE...the guy could barely take the pain...Ive tested a few extra ( I believe there are one-time use anyway) harnesses I had and none of them felt painful, not as much as that one looked anyway....

· Banned
567 Posts
Dont need neither........i have the one that came with my stand, why would i want to buy another!!!

· Registered
1,136 Posts
Hss

Been redesigned, and the pro series is the way to go.

· Registered
3,204 Posts
Falling sucks ... plain and simple. But for those that choose not to use please do not beraid them that they are stupid or making the wrong decision.
Stupid is subjective.
Not wearing one IS the wrong decision - unless you have no concern what your injuries/death will do to your family. If they don't matter much and you have have no problem hoping someone will keep you feed tube filled and your butt wiped, don't wear one. But the can with your picture and story at the gas station will not see a dime from me.

And that review is 3 years old.

Steve

· Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stupid is subjective.
Not wearing one IS the wrong decision - unless you have no concern what your injuries/death will do to your family. If they don't matter much and you have have no problem hoping someone will keep you feed tube filled and your butt wiped, don't wear one. But the can with your picture and story at the gas station will not see a dime from me.

And that review is 3 years old.

Steve
Wow took all of 9 posts after mine to bring a guy out just like I was talking about......:wink:

· Registered
2,946 Posts
If you do not wear one what is your reasoning behind it? I believe that the extra couple of minutes it takes to put one up and strap it to a tree would be worth the hassle of losing your life? Yeah if you fall and are hanging for a while you could still die, but would you rather have a chance at saving yourself or hope something breaks your fall so you dont die?

· Registered
19,551 Posts
i would like to point out that the two sections where the HSS got poor reviews compared to the Seat-of-the-Pants....were based on someones particular view of design and certain body shape.

comfort while hanging?? thats about the dumbest thing i have heard. im not saying that you dont want to be comfortable...but im not trying to be hanging in a tree for a while...and if i was...i would be thinking of a way out...not about comfort level!!

design?? well....i have owned both....and IMO they are both comparable in design. the older seat of the pants wasnt as "high tech" as the one shown (top of the line) against HSS low end harness.

good review i guess....but needs to be more fair and rated on better categories :darkbeer:

· Registered
4,193 Posts
What are you trying to say.....

Leave the guys who choose to wear nothing alone? Nobody cares what you wear.....WEAR SOMETHING!!

We all try to make sure our stands are in good condition.....we all try NOT to fall. Nobody that ever fell expected it or wanted it.....it is ALWAYS an accident.

You wear a seatbelt when you get in your car? You strap your kids in a carseat when you take them somewhere? Are you planning on an accident. No. You are just trying to prevent serious injury to yourself and your loved ones in case one happens.

Why in the world would you climb 20+ feet up in a tree and not take precautions? I just can't understand it.

I saw some moron fall out of a 12ft tripod stand on TV last week then climb back up *****in and CARRYING HIS BOW WITH A FULL QUIVER OF BROADHEADS!!! WTH!!!! He just fell!!! That show is so cheap he doesn't have a rope to haul his bow up??? He is taking a chance on falling on his quiver??

Is it just me??? Sorry to rant but.....JEEEEZE.

· Registered
14,752 Posts
I hang in my harness a lot ,adjusting the stand or if i want to face the tree i just stand on the seat and run my rope up the tree as high as i can and set in it that way,,But its not one of the nut crushing HSS :nono: i like my boys:wink:

· Registered
191 Posts
After going through one of the most painful experiences of my life last year I will always tie off. I spent Sept 10th 2007 in a hospital with my sister and consoled her when she was told that her husband didn't make it due to a fall from a bridge. He was an Iron Worker and fell 65' to his death. After seeing her tell her 3 daughters that thier father would never be coming again I will never want to put my wife and family in that situation. All he had to do was tie off. I talked to all the workers in the hospital before finding out he didn't make it, and they all said that not one of them was tied off. It only takes a few seconds, and when done properly will save your life.

· Registered
3,637 Posts
Do what you want...

Everyone has the choice whether to tie off or not. Personally, I never leave the ground without being tied onto a sliding prussic knot. It's kinda like my grandfather sitting there hooked up to oxygen WHILE he's puffing away on a cig. complaining that he can't breathe!:mad::rolleyes: While I love him to death I feel absolutely ZERO remorse for him because he knows what he's doing is stu..."unwise" and he does it anyway and doesn't even think about his family having to watch him slowly die.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.