Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Get rid of the 2 buck tag per license... Make it 1 with an AR of say 3 points on 1 side..... draw for doe permits still but increase them in certain areas...

The AR will lower the over all harvest first 2 or 3 years yes.. but off set that with the extra doe permits.. keep the herd # the same as it would have been but up the # of bucks in the state improving the buck/doe ratio... add age to the ones we have, give most 1 1/2 year olds a pass... allowing them to get some age, a home range and size... Make the rut work "better" by allowing more bucks to be available to breed the does in November instead of some being bred in Dec.

Your thoughts???

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I think doe permits should be good for more than one area.I also would love to see an AR.3 point on one side.
Youth weekend
Sunday hunting
Rifle hunting in certain areas instead of shot gun only.
You can use them for bear but not deer ??
I would also like to see the Quabin hunt go to a AR 4 point give the hunters somthing for their money instead of the state turning it into just another income.
What about a moose hunt in the future alot of people I kow see moose in the quabin and surrounding areas.
I have seen moose rubs in granby myself.
(I might be opening a can of worms on this one but here goes)
I would like to see the regular gun season open to F.I.D card holders only.If you lost it to for some dumb thing you did to bad for you.Wait till muzzleloader season.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
One other thing why not extend bear season into the first week of deer gun season.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
legalize bear baiting!!!
Sorry... a different topic! :)

Out here in Western MA it seems the overall deer #s are down alot... buck & doe...

·
Registered
186 Posts
I talked with the guy who was one of the main people to get the youth turkey hunting in the books. I wouldn't mind seeing one buck tag on the license with AR. Keep the doe pemits where they are. Would also like to see them outlaw deer drives. 3/4's of the spots I have have been pushed and pushed and pushed. Even during gun season I enjoy sitting in the stand I don't see the need to do drives.

You guys want to get a petition together to see what we could accomplish?

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I talked with the guy who was one of the main people to get the youth turkey hunting in the books. I wouldn't mind seeing one buck tag on the license with AR. Keep the doe pemits where they are. Would also like to see them outlaw deer drives. 3/4's of the spots I have have been pushed and pushed and pushed. Even during gun season I enjoy sitting in the stand I don't see the need to do drives.

You guys want to get a petition together to see what we could accomplish?
Really... Well I'm VP of the state board on the NWTF, who's your buddy???

I'll work with anyone on getting things changed here to improve the herd and the quality of the bucks in this state...

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
im all for it, would love to see better bucks in the area... Where do we begin??

·
Registered
987 Posts
I would love to see it too, but i dont think it will ever happen. It is upone us as hunters to pass up the little ones. Many of the deer hunters in MA are weekend warriors and many times that spike buck they shoot will be their only chance for meat for the year!...I have passed on a ton of 1.5 yo bucks this year, so i feel ya, i would love to let them get older but it would have to be on a zone to zone basis because the herds vary in their population from town to town.

as far as getting AR's started, go with the petition, however i know MA bowhunters have been petitioning for Sunday hunting for the last 3 years, along with break action muzzleloaders and they have gotten nowhere!.. personally i would rather see them pass sunday hunting than AR's

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think a 1 buck tag limit should be put in.. shoot what you want but your done with one.. Add some #'s to our bucks and some age as well... Sunday hunting is a great idea as well... :teeth:

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
I'm all for Sunday hunting!
AR OR 1 buck, still on the fence with that one, I would really hate to pass a forky if it was likely to be the only deer I saw that year. Short sighted I know. :rolleyes:
Doe permits by zone based on the numbers. (Is'nt that how it's done now?)
I never understood the ML deal with no hinged action allowed during ML. Either go back to smoothbore with the design pre 18.. or go all in.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hence the reason for 1 buck tag.. you want to shoot a 4, go ahead.. then you are done.. want to roll the dice and go for a bigger buck.. let him walk..

As for hinged actions.. makes no sense to this Pro Hunter owner.. :confused:

·
Registered
585 Posts
IMO...

1: Thumbs up on the Sunday hunting!

2: One Buck tag and no AR. As stated before, you make the choice as to whether you take the deer or not. This will cut down on the number of deer taken.

3: I like having an antlerless deer tag in my pocket. I gives me another option. I believe there should be a change though. I think the doe (antlerless deer) should be checked in in the zone the tag is drawn from like it's done on Nantucket and MV.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IMO...

3: I like having an antlerless deer tag in my pocket. I gives me another option. I believe there should be a change though. I think the doe (antlerless deer) should be checked in in the zone the tag is drawn from like it's done on Nantucket and MV.
All for this one... :icon_salut:

·
Registered
939 Posts
IMO...

1: Thumbs up on the Sunday hunting!

2: One Buck tag and no AR. As stated before, you make the choice as to whether you take the deer or not. This will cut down on the number of deer taken.

I like this one too, but there are certain zones where they should not issue doe tags for awhile.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK... how do we go about getting this done??? I know how to get things done with turkey hunting... But Deer... who do we go to... MBA???

·
Registered
585 Posts
OK... how do we go about getting this done??? I know how to get things done with turkey hunting... But Deer... who do we go to... MBA???
You would need to put some serious thought into this. We have maybe 15-16 opinions here on this thread. We're talking about changes that will affect the whole state. If someone were serious then (this is my opinion) they would need to at least have the sportsman’s clubs poll their members. This would give a much better "feel" for the subject. I don't have to tell you but we hunters are passionate about our sport. Any change, no matter how much warning is given, will cause nasty responses. Just ask guys about the new saltwater license coming out next year.

The reason I think it should be approached this way is because, as you know, we are regulated to death in this state and having any changes like what have been discussed here would be viewed as the Legislators stepping on our necks once again.

Even though I personally believe some changes are needed I also believe the majority rules.

Just my opinion

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK... How about this...

No AR
1 buck tag for the year.
1 Doe tag for the year
Apply for additional doe permits based on zones.

I would toss in Sunday hunting but I'm going to work on it for Turkey hunting first... As President of the state chapter of the NWTF it is now top on my list...

·
Registered
987 Posts
I would prefer 1 buck tag usable for bow/gun
1 either sex tag only to be used for bow
and lottery for 1 doe tag per zone

Sunday hunting would be great, i know that it has been fought for by the MBA, I hunt with Dan Teague president of MBA, and they have been battling it for years. I see you got upped from VP to president, congrats.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts