Archery Talk Forum banner

How accurate are you per 10 yards?

41 - 60 of 97 Posts
also on a 5 spot the X is 1.5 inches so if you are shooting anything around 1 inch or less (because you only have to catch the outside edge) then you are a 300 60X shooter. Thats pretty good.
OPs post and survey was what's your group size at 10 yards - 5 spot 300 shoots are shot at 20 yards.

In all honesty, I am better than most, not as good as some. I can hold .50" and under groups out to 50 yards.
Let's see, if you can hold .50" and under groups out to 50 yards, then you could shoot a 300 - 30X (or 600 - 60X) on a Vegas face all day long. Why aren't you taking home the Vegas championship every year.

About 60% of the people who voted in this poll are maintaining better groups than professional archers.

1/4' per 10 yards?

So you guys are shooting 2.5" groups and 100 yards?

Child please.......

Good comment bowfreak. I think the same as you. I call BS on anyone that tells me he or she can hold a .50" group out to 50 yards. Even if the guy was a pro.

Any shooter could probably be outstanding at times and fallin' apart the next. My best days I can smack arrows at 30 yards and when brain dead a barn ain't big enough.

I have to agree with a lot of Sonny's post as I've copied above. I do not like the average per 10 yards inference though. At some distances I shoot better than an inch per 10 yards on AVERAGE. But what does average mean to each of us, does it mean 3 our of 4 arrows, does it mean 7 out of 10 arrows, does it mean if I shoot a 2" group once at 30 yards than shoot the next group at 4" I still shoot a 1" per 10 yards? Some yardages for me seem so easy. Sometimes I seem to shoot better at 30 than I do at 20 yards but then that might be just because the target I am aiming at is different?

I don't shoot multiple arrows/target under 30 yards. I keep smashing nocks, fletchings and arrows.
I am not rich and smashing an arrow costs ~$11 at the cheapest.
I would not consider myself a good shot either.
I can hit a tennis ball on a string 2-3 times out of 5 at my 60" target butt. But I will also get at least one 5-6" away.

Guys he is not asking what your group size at 10yds is, he is asking what is your group size per 10yds, if you put 1" that means 4" at 40yds, people I can shoot, and I cannot shoot 4" groups at 40yds every single time, those saying they can do that or better I dare you to post your score of a 5 spot game at 40yds.

the 5 on a five spot is a little over 3 inches and in practice I do not shoot a 300 every time. I have never shot a 300 in competition but I have only tried it a couple of times. So I would have to say about 1.75 to 2. Now that is groups shooting at the X and not just where they land.
Now here's an honest man ^^^! I'm a little skeptical of that large number of folks who say they average an inch or better in this poll. If it's true, they should be shooting 300 60x in 5 spot on a regular basis and should be competing at the national level. Less than a handful of people at my large, very active club can shoot 300s and not every time and it's a very rare event to see a 300 60x.

Lots of these folks are not thinking average when responding. Many of them are thinking about a couple of good days and are probably reporting those as an average. I just shot 5 spot at 20 yards and had several 4 out of 5 X spots, but I also had some with one or two X spots and the rest somewhere in the white and others in the blue. There is no way I could say 1.5 inches, but I can hit a paper plate almost 100 % of the time at 50 yards. I am a bowhunter, not a target shooter but I practice and having read about target shooters routinely shooting 300 and then having to count X hits to determine a winner is humbling. I was shooting next to a guy like that, he was, however, using one fat looking arrow! isn't that cheeting somehow?

50 meters (55yard) FITA face all spread in yellow is a bad day, my average is 8:2 in a 10 ring,
70 meters (77yard) FITA face all spread in yellow is a bad day, my average is 7:3 in a 10 ring,

If your average group was 1 for 10

Then you would be a 60X 5 spot shooter on avg......how many here shoot 60x on a regular basis?

If your worried about destroying arrows, just hang a 5 spot at 30 or 40

You can easily measure your groups

I never shoot groups. always a 5 spot. i have shot 300s with 60xs. i don't understand how you determine that if you shoot 1in groups at 10yds that you would shoot 300 60xs. regularly. can you explain plz. im sure you are right i really just want to know how you get to that conclusion. plz don't take it negative its not meant that way.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.