Archery Talk Forum banner

How can I find out my KE?

433 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  bassman417
I have the ontarget software and it has the IBO and AMO charts but since Im the average archer I dont fall into the specs used. If anybody can help me Id greatly appreciate it. Never chrono'd my bow.

My specs are:
06 Bowtech Tribute
27.5'' draw at 61#
416.5 gr arrow
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5,479 Posts
If I remember right that bow was right around 325 IBO. So using that info I put it in and got

57.75 KE
250 FPS

That should be ballpark with that IBO speed.

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On my ontarget software if I use the IBO chart it gives me an adjustment of 288.3 fps and 76 KE and with the AMO chart i get an adjustment of 253 fps and 58.5 KE.
According to the IBO vs. AMO theory I should fall somewhere in the middle of the two charts but to me it sounds like it would be too fast and too much KE for my particular specs.

· Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,284 Posts
Well once you get your arrow speed known, and for future reference, here's the formula:

Arrow weight x Velocity x Velocity / 450.240

Example: 368 gr arrow x 273 fps x 273 fps / 450.240 = 60 fpke

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys. According to the backcountry figures if I shoot my current setup and dont change to heavier BH's Ill be shooting 267.5 fps and around 61 KE. So all the sites and figures are pretty close. All are within 20 fps and 5 or 6 KE. Plenty to hunt for anything that walks the woods of the U.S.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.