Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like a lot of other people have a bad hog problem, I want to get rid of them for good! Don't care how. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated can PM me if it is something you don't want to be judged for by posting on thread. Thanks in advance, Keith

·
Registered
12,800 Posts
you can't, plain and simple.

what you can do is either hunt them really hard with guns, not bows, put a ton of pressure on them, they will move on.....or find someone that has hog dogs and run the pigs that way.

also, you can trap and dispatch as many as you want....build a "figure 6 hog trap" (google the design), it works wonders, but be prepared to catch anywhere between 1 and 20 depending on the size....also, you could build the trap big enough to put a feeder inside it and let the hogs have that one.

·
Waiting for opening day
2,337 Posts
If you can find a good way, patent the idea and you'll make millions.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Shoot them all, let others hunt them after deer season, shoot them all . . .and ahh . . shoot them all. I often hear people complain about pigs on thier property but they wont let anyone go hunt them, clubs that want to get rid of pigs should think about a pig only memberships so people can hunt them after deer season.

·
Registered
11,804 Posts
Sounds like a small AT hog hunt is in order.

I would think keeping the pressure on them would make them move, just be aware everything else might move as well.

I'm sure glad we dont have your problem in my area......................yet.

Good luck

·
Registered
366 Posts
You can't get rid of them permanently. Shooting them won't make them leave, you'll never see em all, let alone kill them all. Running them with dogs can chase them off your property, but not permanently. If I were you, I'd just hunt them and enjoy it, and like others said, let your friends hunt them too. Make it a positive.

·
Born yank raised south
16,783 Posts
There is really no way to ever eradicate them. When you manage a property for deer it also makes it very inviting for the hogs. In Florida here they have decent luck trapping hogs but after awhile they will avoid the traps. Hunting with guns and shooting every single hog you see no matter what time of year is the way to go. Hogs can breed a couple of times a year and have large litters so it will have to be a year round affair. The hogs will go nocturnal so the key is finding a few guys with good hog dogs like Curs and Plotts to come in at night and catch/kill them. Talk with neighboring land owners to make sure they are trying to get rid of them too because if not you will be wasting your time. Good luck brother.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Shoot them all, let others hunt them after deer season, shoot them all . . .and ahh . . shoot them all. I often hear people complain about pigs on thier property but they wont let anyone go hunt them, clubs that want to get rid of pigs should think about a pig only memberships so people can hunt them after deer season.
Same here, must not be bothering some very bad.:thumbs_up

·
Registered
307 Posts
Move to a state that does not have them YET! Otherwise it is a losing battle. A good dog hunt will run them off for at most a couple of months.

·
Registered
493 Posts
you arent going to get rid of them but can controll them to a extent.

I think traps big enough to catch 5-10 at a time are the most effective way. If you have feeders it will actually keep hogs in your area. If you are hunting remember to shoot the sows first, they eat better anyway IMO.

In my experience hogs are very nomadic. You might have them strong for a couple months and then not see them for a couple months. It can be hit and miss.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
shoot em when ya see em... and like it was said before, let some friends come up and shoot em too. make it fun. and good luck!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
best thing you can do is put a ton of pressure on em. quite a few folks in your area run dogs, it works really well and contrary to popular belief it doesn't effect the deer hunting by running dogs through your place. i've seen it first hand, just find somebody that has good trained dogs and they won't even look twice at a deer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts