Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Hoyt Carbon Defiant (65lb w a 31" draw), Easton Aftermath arrows
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only my second season bow hunting deer in Minnesota and I’d love to find a map that tells me what the heck is planted in or around WMAs.

anyone else figure this out? Would have to drive hours to WMA to find out there aren’t food sources nearby that deer love to eat.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I tried finding a website that has current satellite photos but I couldn’t find anything. Last night I took my drone up and flew around one of my public spots. I could see what was planted all over the nearby fields. I stayed high up as to not disturb anyone. Just don’t get shot down by an angry farmer with a 12 gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,798 Posts
Google maps/earth to see if there are ag fields around. Then walk the property to see what's currently in the field.

·
Registered
122 Posts
why does it have to be an app or on a computer? Lace up and scout. thats how you find the travel routs and best stand locations. kill 3 birds with one walk.

·
Back down to ground level
15,990 Posts
Agree with the above. Walk the property lines of any new piece not just for what's planted next door but to find trails that cross over and to familiarize yourself with the layout in the event you get turned around or need to find an easier way to get a deer out. May be some good bedding just over the line with beaten trails coming out of it that will be a better spot than along an ag field

·
Registered
22,570 Posts
Another reality to consider is that farm crops often get harvested before hunting seasons open. Case in point, we live on 10 acres that is surrounded by leased farm fields by a few local HUGE dairy operations. Two weeks ago, standing corn was everywhere.....then the field across the road to the south was harvested for silage.....and the field adjoining us to the west was harvested this past Wednesday. I was getting multiple trail cam pix from our NW corner the past 6 weeks of deer......with the corn down I haven't gotten a single one. The soy bean field to the north is still standing, but once that is down it looks like the moon around here. If you are basing deer activity on standing crop fields around public land, it is a crap shoot....but hopefully there is a mast crop (acorns) and browse in the woods that serves as a backup. Precisely why boots on the ground scouting will always trump satellite and drone photos.....stuff changes rapidly in the fall from those lazy summer patterns.

·
Registered
49,510 Posts
Only my second season bow hunting deer in Minnesota and I’d love to find a map that tells me what the heck is planted in or around WMAs.

anyone else figure this out? Would have to drive hours to WMA to find out there aren’t food sources nearby that deer love to eat.
LOL really, just do your part and scout, go look. There are NO such thing as maps on planting. If crops aren't up knock on doors. But keep in mind by the time season comes deer change their patterns for the most part.
You have to do your part, scout. Crops are not a magic wand and they will be there.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
LOL really, just do your part and scout, go look. There are NO such thing as maps on planting. If crops aren't up knock on doors. But keep in mind by the time season comes deer change their patterns for the most part.
You have to do your part, scout. Crops are not a magic wand and they will be there.
actually, thats not true..... there very much are maps on planting. If your going to be a prick, dont be an idiot too...

There are soil maps, reporting maps etc etc. You’d have to go to the local USDA extension office and request them however.

This is nationally but it can be broken down per parcel if you look it.

·
Vendor
24,650 Posts
One of the biggest parts of hunting is scouting. Food sources change during the season. Walk the area you want to hunt, take note to any natural food source, note the deer trails, crossings, heavy dropping areas, bedding areas. Know the best trees for stand locations. It's all part of the hunt. Enjoy it! ;)

·
Registered
49,510 Posts
actually, thats not true..... there very much are maps on planting. If your going to be a prick, dont be an idiot too...

There are soil maps, reporting maps etc etc. You’d have to go to the local USDA extension office and request them however.

This is nationally but it can be broken down per parcel if you look it.
Calm down there Jr. Again there is no book telling you what a person planted in their field. It mostly changes by the year. He didn't ask what soil conditions will support what crops. He wants to know the actual crop in an area.
The bottom take away is get off the net and do some actual work like scouting. After all it is part of hunting.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Calm down there Jr. Again there is no book telling you what a person planted in their field. It mostly changes by the year. He didn't ask what soil conditions will support what crops. He wants to know the actual crop in an area.
The bottom take away is get off the net and do some actual work like scouting. After all it is part of hunting.
uummm he asked for maps, and there is... your just too simplistic to click on the link I posted? Farmers report to the USDA..... we even report what the yields were on each and every field, for each individual crop.

As I said earlier, crops typically rotate.

As well, welcome to 1999, where people can use this wild thing called the internet to help their scouting. This new fangled technology thing is kinda helpful, huh?

Stick to giving bad advice on bows which you historically do plenty of, you clearly shouldnt be discussing farming.

·
Registered
Hoyt Carbon Defiant (65lb w a 31" draw), Easton Aftermath arrows
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I tried finding a website that has current satellite photos but I couldn’t find anything. Last night I took my drone up and flew around one of my public spots. I could see what was planted all over the nearby fields. I stayed high up as to not disturb anyone. Just don’t get shot down by an angry farmer with a 12 gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s awesome! thanks for the idea

1 - 20 of 21 Posts