Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I have a question!

And here it is--lol. I put a stand up a few weeks ago, and cleared some lanes, I came back to the stand this weekend to refill the buck grub, corn, and to take the camera out of the woods. I got in my stand and took the rangefinder out to find out what yardage for what tree. Well on everything I checked I had 14-17.5 yards. Any further away wouldn't be a good shot because of limbs, brush and what not. Am I too close? Will I spook deer too soon if they come in that close?

This will be my second year bowhunting, by the way. I didn't realize the stand was that close, I figured it was more like 20.

I figured as long as the wind was ok, and I had lots of scent protection I would be ok--what do yall think?

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Many, myself included, consider 15-20 yds ideal over a trail.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
not at all. our new lease the farthest shot you'll get is 22 yds the brush is so thick. average kill is under 25 yds. girlfriend who hunts elk with a longbow won't shoot one beyond 15 yds. too close not an issue.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
You should be fine...I've taken deer as close as 7 yds in thick cover...

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
no big deal, you will be greatful when the buck shakes happen that you are so close.

·
Banned
19,441 Posts
I have stands set up at 15 yards. I call them ambush stands. If you're quiet and not stinky you'll be ok. I hunt in thick cover so I "usually" hear the deer before I can see it. Usually:confused:

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
How Close is too Close ?

I think if the deer mistakes your nocked arrow for a licking branch, it might be a tad too close. :D

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
goo camo

blend in good move at the right time and you ll be fine then next year do some trimming around spring to give you lil advantage not to much or you ll be a sitting duck. good luck

·
Banned
841 Posts
You should be OK, but make sure you're quiet and your arrow is quiet when you draw it.

I've found 14 yards is a little too close when there's no wind and it's very still outside. Those deer can hear everything.

Good luck!

·
The Impartial Archer
18,322 Posts
Everything is amplified at closer ranges. Its much easier to shoot a deer at 30 yards than it is at 5 yards as far as mistakes go. The closer the deer gets the less you can screw up. A deer might hear that little sliding noise as you draw your arrow across the rest or that squeak in your stand that only happens once in a while or see you move because they are so close. Don't get me wrong I LOVE CLOSE SHOTS and most of mine are under 15 but if you are gonna' set up for close shots make sure you do your homework and be stealthy. It's a much bigger rush too.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
I came back to the stand this weekend to refill the buck grub, corn,
so I take it that this attractant will be there when you hunt. You didn't mention if this is a tree stand or or a ground hide. Just know that the deer will be skiddesh when they are coming in. Deer are always skidesh when coming to a food source. You will have to be patient and still and let them settle down. You will have to be very quiet when you attempt to draw on them as they can hear everything you do at that distance. Good luck

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
15 yards is just right. Don't change a thing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
absolutly not to close

if i'm correct in 2004 the national average for deer harvested with a bow was 12 yards

good luck this year

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Archery targets=how far can you hit accurately
Bowhunting=how close can you get and shoot a deer.

I garentee given the choice, EVERY bowhunter would take a 17 yard shot over a 30 or 40 yard shot every time.
Be smart with wind direction and you will be perfect.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts