Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this might be hard to anwser from state to state...but here it goes...how common is a 125", 130", 135", and so on buck......1 in 5 is 125" at 3 years????

what is your thoughts.....

'

·
Registered
14,717 Posts
In wv there about as common as pink bears.......

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
In Northern Missouri.....most bucks at 3.5 will be 130 or better. I have seen one in the 160's as a 3.5 year old, but that is pretty uncommon. If a 3.5 is under 120 then he is in the minority also.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
In eastern Oklahoma the term needle in a haystack is used quite often. Western Oklahoma is a different story, but land access is much more difficult out there.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I agree that in north MO a 3yr old buck will commonly be 125-130 class. And that is with great food sources like grain fields all over the place, great genetics, and great mineral composition in the soil. In south MO that may only be 110-120 (or even less) for 3 yr old.

Just because a buck gets age doesn't mean it will automatically get 160+" of antler. Genetics and feed have some impact.

Last year in MO I shot a buck at least 4yrs old, and he scored 131g/126n. He had a long term leg injury, not the best forage, and just squeaked out p&y.

A lot of factors play into how a buck can grow in the immediate area, forage, genetics, hunting pressure, soil composition etc.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ib4Hoyt said:
In wv there about as common as pink bears.......
Which one is more rare in WV do you think -- a 3 yr old or a 125+ buck.....

Personally I think we have no age structure -- average age of bucks killed 3 yrs ago = 1.5 yrs, last year I think it was 2.5 years.

wvhuntinnut

·
Registered
949 Posts
In Vermont, 125" deer are as common as catamounts (Green Mountain version of mountain lions). I've never seen either in my 30yrs of deer hunting! I believe the QDM website shows that we have 1 B&C deer to our credit.

A 3.5yr old deer I would expect to be a 90" 8 pointer around here ... if you're lucky. 4.5+ might break 100".

... Crayfish

·
Premium Member
18,022 Posts
Question doesn't really pertain to Arizona. We have Coues Whitetail here and getting one at 110" is a nice deer. Other than that we have mulies and it just depends on where you hunt them at. Different areas of the state have different sized deer.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Around where I hunt typically a 3.5 is going to be 120-135. 2.5 around 100-115. Both age classes are getting a little more common thanks to our antler restrictions. Would love to see more people holding off on legal 1.5 year old bucks too.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Most deer herds are comprised of 1.5 year old bucks. So the odds are greater for seeing younger bucks.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I would say that most 3 1/2 yr old bucks in MN will go somewhere in the 120-140 range. It can vary alot from deer to deer so it is kinda hard to come up with an average.

·
Registered
396 Posts
here in NC if people wouldnt kill every buck they saw :mad: then a 125-130 buck wouldnt be that uncommon....with all the farm land here these deer get great nutrition all they need are a few birthdays!anything over 130 is very very very rare.average age of bucks killed here is 1.5.im sure that its a nice 200" buck somewhere here but it will never be seen.

maxx

·
Registered
14,717 Posts
gfish said:
not so good in florida....

:tongue:
Man i thought our deer were little.......wheres the spots.......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts