Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those who have private land to hunt, how did you go by obtaining permission? Or those who don't what would you do to obtain permission? Would you lease, work for it, go knock on the door, ect.... For example i have been hunting the same farm for about 9 years now free of charge just friends of the family.(use to date the daughter) The owner of the property, Sam, is now complaining that he needs help on the farm. This is after he had a few:darkbeer: The free time that i do have, Im going to the tree stand. The farm is not the greatest place to hunt just convenient being 5 mi from the house. I can race there after work and hunt the last 2 hours of light. Im curious what you would do?

·
bowonlywhitetails
16,757 Posts
My grandpa has land and he knows pretty much all the farmers around there, so my name gets me in.

·
bowonlywhitetails
16,757 Posts
I would offer some help if you have time.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would offer help but from previous encounters helping them you can never get away or your help is never enough. I all ready work a 42 hour week doing construction the last thing i want to do come hunting season is work even more. Hunting is kind of my escape. But on the other hand if i could manage the property and plant food plots and grow 150 inch deer, my mindset might change a little.

·
bowonlywhitetails
16,757 Posts
I would offer help but from previous encounters helping them you can never get away or your help is never enough. I all ready work a 42 hour week doing construction the last thing i want to do come hunting season is work even more. Hunting is kind of my escape. But on the other hand if i could manage the property and plant food plots and grow 150 inch deer, my mindset might change a little.
Maybe you could offer them some meat that always helps for us.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That works on the guy where i public land hunt. I use his land as my access to the public, exchange for a deer heart. Eww.....

·
Registered
256 Posts
I own 255 acres. If someone asked me in the right way and was willing to do some work and help out I would probably let them hunt. But the way ya"ll are talking you already work too much to help. Just how do you think us land owners got our land and get to keep it? I have worked all my life and most of money I get goes into making the payments on my place. I'm 40 years old and still have a ways to go to get it all payed for but it is sure worth it. The last couple of years has been tough. I hang and finish sheetrock for a living and the construction business is not very good but I dont have to worry about where I can go hunting.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I knock on doors all the time...got 5 new spots this year alone. I usually get a yes 1 out of every 10 or so. I knock...step back about 5 feet from the door. When they answer I say I'm really sorry to bother you my name is _____ and I live nearby and would like to know if you would consider giving permission to bow hunt on your property? Depending on the response I may offer something in return if I feel I need to. Many people I know are afraid to knock on doors but the truth is the worst that can happen is they say no and you thank them for there time and leave.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Wow 42 hours a week? must be nice.If I get down to 65 hours a week,I'm dancing in the streets.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
O I will take 65 hours a week. Over time puts extra cash in the bank:thumbs_up

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
we lease from a timber company

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
wow....you got a free place to hunt and are complaining about not wanting to help out the farmer because you work too much? Its a wonder you even have a free place to hunt.

I hunt a couple of private places and both of them are connected to a buddy of mine...one is his dad's place and the first thing I did when I went there is stop and talked to him and offered my help for anything he might need on the farm...I have 2 young kids and a wife and yes, I want to hunt when I can and spend time with the family, but helping out the landowner in exchange for a free place to hunt 12 miles from my house is a small price to pay

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
If I was the owner id boot your @## off for free loading. Talk about UNGRATEFUL you give that word new meaning. Go hunt public for a few years then you may APPRECIATE him letting you hunt.

·
Banned
4,049 Posts
To those who have private land to hunt, how did you go by obtaining permission? Or those who don't what would you do to obtain permission? Would you lease, work for it, go knock on the door, ect.... For example i have been hunting the same farm for about 9 years now free of charge just friends of the family.(use to date the daughter) The owner of the property, Sam, is now complaining that he needs help on the farm. This is after he had a few:darkbeer: The free time that i do have, Im going to the tree stand. The farm is not the greatest place to hunt just convenient being 5 mi from the house. I can race there after work and hunt the last 2 hours of light. Im curious what you would do?
i have close to 2000 acres of private land to hunt and the best way i know how to tell you to get permission is go to the land owners and first ask them in the cold months dec. through march to go coyote hunting and i have yet to have a farmer to tell me no that i cant hunt. then when it gets spring time ask him to turkey hunt, by then you 2 should have already have a good relationship and once again i havent had a land owner yet to tell me no because i offer to help him do whatever he needs done so the answer is yes. then by deer season they most usually tell you to hunt it like it was youre own land because the land owner has a good relationship with you. this is the way i go about it and i have close to 2000 acres of private land to hunt. in the end i treat the land owner like you would want to be treated and like the land was youre own. hope this helps

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
i got mine by repairing the fence for him an getting the next door proprty owners cattle off of his property, he tryed to pay me an i turned it down. he was known for not allowing any hunting or fishing on his land. so he called me 2 weeks later an tryed to pay me again and i turned it down so he called the next day an asked if i wanted to hunt his land , i said sure and now i have had the only permission ever given by him for bout 12-15 years. not only did i get my 160 acre big buck haven that we have taken 3 bucks over 200" off of , but i also got a 450 acre spot and a 80 acre spot and a 40 acre spot from him, all it cost me is to brush hog the roads keep the limbs trimmed back off the roads. an just watch over it for him because he lives a 100 miles away. i give him ground venison also every year because he doesnt hunt but loves deer chili. i am very fortunate for this an i know it an i do take care of it.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Offer your help when hunting season is not around then come time for season let them know you are hunting after 9 years im sure they will understand that!

Must be nice to get paid for your over time guys LOL sallary here i get paid the same for 40 or 70 hours a week blah lol

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I got really really lucky to have some family friends that begged me to come kill deer because they were over running them.....I'm lucky in that respect.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
I searched the county land maps on the internet when we moved to our new house in early 2010. I looked over decent properties on the maps and tracked down phone numbers and started calling. The ones I couldn't locate numbers for, I stopped by and knocked on doors. I got permission to hunt 4 separate properties totaling around 325 acres all less than 5 minutes from my front door. Two properties of around 100 acres each are side by side so its basically 200 continuous acres. I never even hunted the other two properties because I just didn't have time to scout them. The ones I hunt are a horse farm and the other is overgrown farm land with no crops. I have to call and let the one landowner know every time I step foot on the property but it's a small price to pay. I also set thank you letters after the season was over and when I called back this year they all mentioned how nice it was to receive the letters.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow....you got a free place to hunt and are complaining about not wanting to help out the farmer because you work too much? Its a wonder you even have a free place to hunt.

I hunt a couple of private places and both of them are connected to a buddy of mine...one is his dad's place and the first thing I did when I went there is stop and talked to him and offered my help for anything he might need on the farm...I have 2 young kids and a wife and yes, I want to hunt when I can and spend time with the family, but helping out the landowner in exchange for a free place to hunt 12 miles from my house is a small price to pay
Im not complaining about helping i just dont want this to turn into a second carrier

1 - 20 of 30 Posts