Archery Talk Forum banner

How difficult of a job is switching out a cam?

530 16
I have a new cam for my bow coming to my local shop under warranty. How difficult of a job is it to switch out a cam? Do problems often arise after it is installed? I have a good local shop and the owner so far has done excellent work on my bow. I trust him on this job, just have no idea how difficult a cam change is.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Banned
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet...is it really that simple?

· Registered
1,576 Posts
I assume these short times do not include replacing the string and cables and then timing the cams. To be honest the hardest part for me is to keep the spacer washers in place as you slide the shaft back into place. If they are out of position, the shaft will not go in. Of course I usually allow some time to find these spacers again after having them fall on the floor. I am sure that no one else has this problem. Certainly an employee in a pro shop should know the tricks and how to make sure everything goes smoothly.

· Banned
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great...I'll have a new cam and Vapor Trail strings!

· Registered
2,542 Posts
unless it is a mathews, then they have to take the string off, completely change the cam to the proper size.

· Registered
12,595 Posts
unless it is a mathews, then they have to take the string off, completely change the cam to the proper size.
I changed the cam on a Switchback in 5 minutes yesterday. Don't exaggerate.

· Registered
2,542 Posts
I changed the cam on a Switchback in 5 minutes yesterday. Don't exaggerate.
Hey I'm happy for ya. I was just stating that it is not just a simple change a screw or tweek a nut. I never said it took like twelve hours , I believe that is what an exaggeration is.

· Registered
9,219 Posts
Easy swap. I can swap limbs, strings and cams in about 5 min.... You have nothing to worry about if you have a good shop. Just let them do their thing and you just worry about shooting the bow after they are done :thumb:

· Registered
12,595 Posts
Hey I'm happy for ya. I was just stating that it is not just a simple change a screw or tweek a nut. I never said it took like twelve hours , I believe that is what an exaggeration is.
???? :confused: The original poster asked about changing out a cam . . not changing draw length. Last I checked there isn't a bow made that you don't have to remove the string/cables from to change a cam.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.