Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first real season of bow hunting. Never really fired from a tree before. How badly does it effect your range? Meaning if the deer is 20 yards from the base of the tree do you still shoot with the 20 yard pin even if the deer is alittle further from the stand that is UP higher in the tree?

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
The most important thing is for a consistent anchor point and bend at the waist. I typically draw and anchor as if I am shooting something in front of me and then bend at the waist down to the target. Aim for your exit hole and you'll be golden. I recommend practicing from an elevated position and then practicing from your actual treestand. This will allow you to learn the shot sequence and also movement, shooting lanes, clearance.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Best Thing To Do Is Take Your Target Out To The Stand And Shoot Out Of It, If I Didnt Do That This Year I Would Have Missed It Was A 13yd Shot And I Had To Put My 20 Pin Bout 6in Low But It Depends How High Your Stand Is Too

·
Don't Blink!
3,140 Posts
What Doc said, "PRACTICE".

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
climb up on your garage roof or shoot out a second floor window

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
placement and vitals are the most important when shooting a deer out of the tree--when you move up, the angle at which the arrow will go into the deer will be quite different. and you need to be aware of where the vitals are, and make sure you have either a nice broad shot or quartering away. I will aim further back for a quartering away shot so that I don't exit in his shoulder and from a broad shot I will aim a little higher so that I exit up and not out of his belly--its hard to explain hopefully I didn't sound like a dummy.

If you practice from an elevated position you want to notice where the arrow would have come out of the target and adjust your aim from there. not to mention practicing on a deer target will do you some good. Its easier to visualize then on a block--which you probably knew that one--hehe

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
bluelinearcher said:
This is my first real season of bow hunting. Never really fired from a tree before. How badly does it effect your range? Meaning if the deer is 20 yards from the base of the tree do you still shoot with the 20 yard pin even if the deer is alittle further from the stand that is UP higher in the tree?

Personally, I feel way too much is made of this shooting from a treestand vs. from the ground issue......

I have never aimed any differently from 13-18 feet up a tree than I do at ground level when stalking/still-hunting.......and still drill'em right where I held my pin.....:darkbeer:

That said, if you're at or over 25 feet up, OK.....maybe then you have to factor-in shot-angle, etc.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
practice,grab your target and shoot out a high window if you need to,remember to bend at the waist.you really need to practice it before going out to hunt,you want to get a clean kill on the animal ,not wound it and not be able to find it.did i mention you need to practice!

·
Killing&Grilling in MD
415 Posts
Shooting from stand

bluelinearcher said:

Glad you asked.I practiced all summer from the ground.At 20 yards I could split my arrows.At 30 yards was shooting 3 inch groups.So I go to qualify to hunt at one of the local spots only from an elevated stand.At 25 yards ....missed highat 15 yards ....missed high at 10 yards ...yep missed high again.I was shocked.

Next day I PRACTICED from an elevated stand,big difference.Went back to qualify and drilled all 3 shots.Listen to the people on here Practice,Practice and do a little more practicing.You will thank them when you collect those back straps:tongue:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts