Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The main farm that I bowhunt for whitetails (~500ac) is managed for pheasants (landowners are big time pheasant hunters).

Next year I will have several plots (1-5 acres in size) planted to milo. How will the deer use the milo? Should I hunt it like corn (bedding and feeding area) or what?

I have no experience with it so any tips would be appreciated.

The rest of the farm is CRP, Timbered Draws, and Clover (40ac).

Soybeans and Corn are close by (bordering the area I have permission on).

·
Registered
423 Posts
My families farm in South Central SD is also managed primarily as a pheasant property. Our pheasant food strips alternate 8 rows of grain sorghum (milo) and 8 rows of forage sorghum (cane) as wide as necessary. If we get moisture the cane gets up to 10' tall and the milo about waist high. I know the deer love to bed in the strips throughout the year, especially before the cane blows over and lodges. They'll feed on the milo some, but seem to prefer close by alfalfa, corn, and beans. A food plot of straight milo could attract deer, but I think the dense vertical cover provided by the cane is the real attraction. If you plant both you get the benefits of both and when walking for pheasants you can easily walk through the milo and let the dogs work that tangled cane. Might not be the greatest whitetail plot around but its the best thing going for pheasants.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts