Archery Talk Forum banner

How do I go about using a bigger than needed shaft?

756 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  AJ008 
#1 ·
Im supposed to shoot 2012's but id like a bigger shaft to break lines better.
I read on here how some archers use a bigger than needed shaft then weaken the spine with a heavy point.
So my question is how do i deside how much bigger shaft i can use and how heavy of a point should i use? And What points should i use?

Help me out PLEASE!

#2 ·
bigger diameter alum. shafts

Larger diameter shafts usu. provide for a stiffer arrow spine. Therefore to compensate, for the added stiffness,...try using a longer shaft, (at least an inch or so), and/or using a heavier point weight. This will change the way the arrow "acts" from stiff to "behaving" as a more limber arrow.
If you want a noticeably larger size to cut lines you may have to do both, i.e., use longer arrows as well as use heavier points.
Get an Easton arrow chart and just buy about three shafts at a time and start "tinkering".
If you want more specifics, post 'em for us to take a look at maybe we can be of more "pointed" help, (pun intended).

bowtinkerer :cool:

#3 ·
I don't weaken the spine on mine. I just cut them my normal length fletch them and use 125gr screw in points. I shoot the same if I leave them full length. If your using a release. Fingers you have to get the spine matched.

#4 ·
what is your setup this is a good place to get the info you need to go to the fadest arow for tham line cuters but you just mit be surprised at the accracy you can get on the skinny ones:D

just my 2 cents

runawaysXs;)

#6 ·
Hoyt Radier w/ 26 inch draw length, pulling 50 pounds and about an 8 inch brace height.
So just try some shafts till i find the right one? Sounds like fun! Not!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.