Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am relatively new to archery and I found this forum so I was wondering to improve my aim. I'm solid under 20yds but after that I get a bit inconsistent. Any tips (aside from practice since I am already doing that)

·
USMC 04/2005-05/2013
3,603 Posts
Proper draw length and D loop length are the major contributing factors to holding more steady. Learning proper release execution. Slow steady squeeze, no punching the trigger. Draw weight not to heavy. You will never hold perfectly steady, just not possible. There may be a point where you may achieve that, but it is usually a very tiny window. The farther you shoot, the wider your group will end up being. Some like to say 1" for every 10 yards. Of course that is just dependant on your skill. Some will be better, some worse.

·
Kung fu master/Wizard
2,730 Posts
Start by developing a solid stance and repeating it every time

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
^ both above post are solid answers. To add to their comments, the more you shoot and build your muscles the better you will be at full draw. If you use a lower grip it will help with bone on bone contact. When at full draw use more of your bottom half of palm (heel)

·
Registered
383 Posts
I don't know if anyone else does this.....I breath in as I get ready to draw then breath out about halfway as I'm drawing and then hold it until I release. That helps me keep my aim steady.

·
Registered
660 Posts
When I learned it helped to have someone with some experience look at my stance and help correct. important for me to establish an anchor with multiple points.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Blind bale.
every day or as much as possible.
Stand in front of your target and come to full draw.
close your eyes and slowly release the arrow.

Each time pay close attention your your stance, anchor and grip.
get use to the feel of your release going off.
Be sure to pay close attention to every detail of your form.

Repeated blind bailing builds muscle memory .

·
Registered
536 Posts
A big one for me personally is if my bow arm isn't just right, I'm all over the place. Finding the sweet spot here made a huge difference. I agree with bsshaver, try to find somebody experience that knows what he/she is doing that can watch you in person and help you make changes, sometimes very minor things make a huge difference.

·
C:\My Documents\My Pictur
23,094 Posts
Hello
Turn the thinker off.You need to be thinking of nothing.
Aim --commit to the shot and just let it happen.
Let your eye relate to your subconscious mind when to commit to the shot.
Your job is easy just burn the center of the target with your aim.
The shot will go or let down.

Practices this it becomes natural. The same way you practices and trained to drive a car.
Do you haft to think to turn the car on. Deer runs out in front of you. Do haft to think where the brake is.[ Later

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
It's a pretty simple formula:

Stable, repeatable form - A coach can take years off of your learning curve for this. I learned this first hand :(
A bow that fits AT YOUR OPTIMUM FORM - this is probably the most important and again, a good coach can save you lots of time
Practice, practice, practice - blank bale, full distance, drills, game, etc - This takes a love of the sport and the discipline to stick with it.

OK, simple, but not easy :) This is a case of the devil being in the details because there is so much more to it than can be listed in a single AT thread.

Allen

1 - 12 of 12 Posts