Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to this forum before i start no i dont want to buy a new bow, but would like to improve my bow speed, i can shoot a bow fine just dont know much about them and i am upgrading from a pendulum to a montana black gold 7 pin and want flatter shooting.
i shoot a mathews z-max
70 pounds
27 in draw
320 ibo
27 in beeman ics hunter 400 with vibrake at 8.4 gpi
4 in nap quikspins
100 grain muzzy 3 blade
regular nock
rubber string silencers that look like a pufferfish not sure what there called
i have the original string on the bow and have alot of twist so i use a peep with a rubber string
i have a trophy ridge drop away rest
and i would like to upgrade my stabilizer any recommendations would be appreciated thanks

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
There are only a few ways to impart more KE from a bow into an arrow.

The only "free" way, is to place weights, sometimes called "speed nocks" at the location that most people install the string silencers. It takes a little trial and error adjustment of the location, but you can get about 5-6 F.P.S. of speed increase, without having to put more effort into drawing the bow.

You can also remove weight from the center of the string, if you have a heavy peep sight, brass nocksets, or an aluminum d-loop.

The other ways to increase speed, are:

(1.) Increase draw weight.
(2.) Increase power stroke.
(3.) Decrease let-off%.

If you add 5 LBS of draw weight, you will gain about 10 F.P.S. of arrow speed.
If you decrease the brace height, increase the draw length, or a combination of both, you will gain about 10 F.P.S. per inch of power stroke increase.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are only a few ways to impart more KE from a bow into an arrow.

The only "free" way, is to place weights, sometimes called "speed nocks" at the location that most people install the string silencers. It takes a little trial and error adjustment of the location, but you can get about 5-6 F.P.S. of speed increase, without having to put more effort into drawing the bow.

You can also remove weight from the center of the string, if you have a heavy peep sight, brass nocksets, or an aluminum d-loop.

The other ways to increase speed, are:

(1.) Increase draw weight.
(2.) Increase power stroke.
(3.) Decrease let-off%.

If you add 5 LBS of draw weight, you will gain about 10 F.P.S. of arrow speed.
If you decrease the brace height, increase the draw length, or a combination of both, you will gain about 10 F.P.S. per inch of power stroke increase.
how do i do that

·
10,241 Posts
If you have room to increase your draw weight, with the limb bolts, you can install a longer string and cable, to increase your ATA, decrease your BH and increase the draw length.

It is important that you always measure your draw length after making an adjustment. Increasing the draw length, will hurt your accuracy and lead to giant blood blisters on your bow arm.

You can reduce draw length and weight, by advancing the cam. ******ing the cam does the opposite.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
You could try lighter arrows, I would guess yours are around 385-390 gr.
String silencers will rob a small amount of speed 2-3fps.
Get a good quality custom string & cable set.
Get rid of the peep and tube combo, with a good string set you won't have the rotation problems. Meta peeps are super light, I don't like the blue color so I use Tru peeps (slightly heavier but 1/2 the price).
Add a couple speed nocks and adjust while shooting thru a chronogragh, there is no set best point of attatchment. This takes some time.
Make sure your cam rotation is set correctly and your arrows are tuned to the bow.
You could probably pick up 10-15 fps or more with some work. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
First off, how fast is the bow shooting exactly?
If you want the bow faster you could do a couple things but gaining speed you might have to sacrifice some smootheness and add hand vibration to the bow.
I would slap a rest on it that you can set back a little from the shelf like an Octane Hostage Pro. Then you could cut that 27" arrow back to 26" maybe a little shorter. I would call Vapor Trail and ask for a low strand string. This will allow you to shoot a G5 Meta peep. Keep the string silencers off the bow and the speed will definately increase. That will make the bow a bit louder but you should gain quite a bit speed with this.

·
10,241 Posts
From the testing I have done, I have concluded that string silencers do not reduce arrow speed. In fact, even the "cat whisker" type, increase arrow speed by 2-3 F.P.S.

The "super Leech" crossbow style string leech, adds almost as much speed as using speed nocks, plus it has the benefit of reducing string oscillation.

The only exception, is the bows like the Mathews Outback, with limb mounted string suppressors. Those bows, get no speed improvement from the use of speed nocks and will actually shoot slower, with them installed.

The rubber tube style peep will cost you at least 8 F.P.S. of arrow speed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i will look into getting new strings and cables. i just spent to much much money on my current rest to buy another i switching from pendulum to pins and that should cut out some noise so i can try without string silencers see how i like it and get a different peep i will chronograph before and after. does any know how much strings and cables are?

thanks for yalls help

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
around 75-90$ for vaportrail but it varies with length a bit, they are great strings,,, the easiest way to gain speed is by reduced arrow weight you could possibly loose around 40 grains of weight, but you will add noise by going to a lighter arrow... ask yourself why you want more speed after you find out what your actuall fps is now..... what do you expect to get by more speed, you could take a good thing and mess it up by chaseing speed witha 27" draw you will never be as fast as a guy with the same bow at 28" be good with what you got, if it shoots good and your confidnet and accurate... you might be happier saving your pennies and getting a "speed" bow with out messing up your rig now....

speed is nice but it comes with a price, and it is not a cure all it is nothing but a single feature of a bow.... i buy 70# bows and turn them down to 60-63, i shoot a medium weight arrow, i use feathers i shoot a whisker biscuit, i could shoot an 80# bow but they aint no fun for me,, archery should first and foremost be fun

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
a1hoyt.ca

I would first off take off the org. Strings & Cables & go with Winners Choice Custom Strings & Cables Material 8125. Second I would make sure I had a qualty rest like a Qad H.D. or T.T. FC. It is a modern bow get rid of the peep rubber & go with a a G-5 Meta peep. Evan @ 70 lbs. you could probably go with a 500 spined arrow with less over all mass weight for flat speed. You may be only looking @ 15 or 20 grains with a lighter arrow so go to your local pro shop & shoot some differnt weight arrows or borrow from your buddies. make sure they tune field points prob. will be ok buy make sure your B.H shoot the same spot with the lighter spinned arrows.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
You could try lighter arrows, I would guess yours are around 385-390 gr.
String silencers will rob a small amount of speed 2-3fps.
Get a good quality custom string & cable set.
Get rid of the peep and tube combo, with a good string set you won't have the rotation problems. Meta peeps are super light, I don't like the blue color so I use Tru peeps (slightly heavier but 1/2 the price).
Add a couple speed nocks and adjust while shooting thru a chronogragh, there is no set best point of attatchment. This takes some time.
Make sure your cam rotation is set correctly and your arrows are tuned to the bow.
You could probably pick up 10-15 fps or more with some work. Good luck.
This kind of sums up your options - well done.

·
10,241 Posts
Shooting lighter arrows, does not improve your bow speed.

It improves your arrow speed, by trading kinetic energy and momentum for velocity.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks to all after some more thought i have contacted mathews about a new cam also im 6 foot and 27 in is a little short so it wont hurt to add a little draw length and get new strings and cables yall have all been alot of help i am a member on another hunting forum they just dont usually have very good info on bows besides just repeating there favorite brands name over and over

·
10,241 Posts
....they just dont usually have very good info on bows besides just repeating there favorite brands name over and over
That goes on a lot here as well.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts