Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a solid way to get a feel for about how big that monster under my stand is or the one in the middle of the field for that matter? Oh yeah its my Birthday today too!!!!:darkbeer::darkbeer::darkbeer::confused:

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Happy birthday
3 long tines up on both sides, nice brow tines, tines are thick not spindly. This is at quick judge job if you have only a few seconds to determine. There are many more factors but you just don't usually have time. A buck with these credentials should go 140-150

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
Happy Birthday! IMO nothing replaces measuring heads to help in field scoring. I've measured quite a few in my days & I've found that now I am usually very close in scoring a deer on the hoof. I credit it to the number of deer I've measured though.

·
Registered
162 Posts
if you are able to see he's wider than the ears, plus follow what Stanley said as well.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I bought a video by Larry Weishun (sp?) a couple of years ago. His technique is to first figure out the average frame size for your area--frame includes main beam length, spread, and mass measurements. Then, using that average as a base, estimate the individual tine lengths, add 'em up, and you've got a guestimate. Our lease's average frame score was 95, and using his technique, it is relatively easy to come up with an estimated score. However, it is a whole lot different sitting in a tower blind with binocs or spotting scope than in a tree with bow in hand--

Someone said it in an earlier post--nothing beats measuring 10-20 racks to give you a good feel for scores.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
score

At least 8 points, 10 better. A one dollar bill is 6 inches. Are the tines longer than that, and outside the ears, with a little more than normal mass, it should make book.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
In my mind i say "shooter" or "not a shooter" I will worry about the score when i get to him lol... I shot a 150 inch 12 point a couple years ago, and i had no idea how many points or what he would score. I just knew he was a shooter and it was making me way to nervous to look at his rack!!! lol After i shot him i went and got my buddy which had a 125 min. on his farm at the time. I told him he was close to 125 LOL!

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
This is what i used before i got the internet a few yrs ago and it worked for me.....I have an 8pt that scored 105 and after a few yrs of seeing it day in and day out i got an idea of rack size in that range and i guess it worked,because the next deer i shot what was also an 8 and i judged him to be around 125 acording to my other 8 which in the end he scord 129 and some change.Now i've looked at him enough to have an idea what a bigger one would be if i ever see one.Now a days it easy to see/study pics for a period of time to get an idea.gl

·
Registered
758 Posts
Main beams extend out past the ears when the ears are laid down flat to the outside is a quick glance method of judging.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts