Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
11,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been making mock scrapes for a while, but how do you guys make a licking branch? I have read a few posts of guys saying them make one, but with what scents?

Thanks.

·
Registered
593 Posts
pull the branch down and give 'er a big ol slurp:wink:

·
11,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For some reason I have this funny image in my head of me leaning over a scraped oval on the ground trying to chew a branch. Kind of like trying to tongue a straw in your drink that won't hold still.

:tongue:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Deer have preorbital glands that they rub all over the branch. They also always bite the end of the branch off. Do this with gloves on or it defeats the purpose.

Try www.deerlures.com
This guy makes good scents and alot of the local guys use them. I have been using his complete scrape and preorbital to make my scrapes and the deer seem to love em.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I've started using Kishels scrape kit this past week. I made 6 mock scrapes with it. I will check them in another week or so to see if I've had any success. I like to make my scrapes where there are already multiple licking branches around 4 ft off the ground. I've found that deer are much more likely to use a scrape with multiple branches. I think they also attract more deer than scrapes with a single branch.

·
Registered
173 Posts
nicko said:
I've heard great things about the products on this site http://www.huntmdown.com/Scrapes.html. Copy and paste it into your browser to open.
Thanks buddy.

Both Hawg's and Trophy Advantage licking branch products are really curiosity scents not true licking branch scents, i.e. preorbital gland, forehead gland or saliva gland scents. They are actually synthetic curiosity scents only. I carry them both and they work but their scrape products are better in my opinion. I reach for Jackie's licking branch scent when making a mock scrape but there are other good brands as well. Kishel's makes a good product although I don't carry it but there are others too. An overhanging branch, i.e. over a scrape, needs to hang downward, not up. It should be five to six feet off the ground. Give the branch a good coating of lure so the first buck to come along doesn't wipe it all off. A licking stick on the other hand is a short, two or three foot broken off little sapling pointing straight up. It's not part of a scrape but attracts every buck around to make it's mark, just like dogs to a fire hydrant. Again I would hit it with Jackie's before anything else. JMO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts