Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this sounds like a stupid question, but I'm wanting to try out the "slower but heavier" theory this year since I'll be hunting where some truely BIG hogs live. I've got a 28.5" draw, and I'm comfortable shooting 70+ pounds. I haven't been able to try an 80#'er since finding them in stock, and left handed is almost impossible. When I get my Easton Axis 340's all finished out, they come to about 405 gr. with a 100 gr. broadhead. I'm wanting to get up around 500 gr. and get the arrow moving as close to 250 fps as possible.
First, does anyone know of a small diameter carbon shaft with a heavy gpi. weight? Something heavier than the Axis or Black Max. I know I will have to move from 100 gr. heads to something a tad heavier.
Second, shooting a 500 gr. arrow out of a 72# V-TEC @ 28.5" draw, is 250 fps. an obtainable speed or am I going to be shooting much slower?
Any help would be.....helpfull.
Matt

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
They make weight tubes , or I read a story once of a guy went over to Africa to bowhunt and his arrows where too lite so he filled his shafts with salt to make them heavier .. :thumbs_up

·
Michigander R.I.P.
5,540 Posts
I use the carbon express weight tubes(lancaster archery supply has them) they have them in 2 and 3 grain per inch. Some guys use heavy weedwacker string.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
just move to allum i shoot a 2219 29" that is 595g arrow. i personal think allum is strieghter and better i will not change anytime soon

·
I am nobody.........
8,659 Posts
Get yourself some weedeater line, cut it, weigh the segments so they are equal, and insert the line into your shafts. Presto, instant weight tubes, cheap, and about any weight you want.

·
Registered
588 Posts
How about cutting your arrows longer and going with the axis 300's. I'm using them at 30" long with 125 grain tips and 4" vanes. Finished arrows weigh 502 grains. I'm getting excellent flight and groups at 70# draw weight. As for weight tubes, they will not fit in the axis shaft. I also have some gold tip 7595's with 2 gpi weight tubes and 125 grain tips. Can't remember the exact weight, but they also weigh right around 500 grains. My arrows for my 80# bowtech are goldtip big game 100 + with 125 grain tips, blazer vanes, and 2 gpi weight tubes for a finished arrow weight of 540 grains.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
reylamb said:
Get yourself some weedeater line, cut it, weigh the segments so they are equal, and insert the line into your shafts. Presto, instant weight tubes, cheap, and about any weight you want.
Yep, weedeater line. Simple and cheap.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Schoolcraft,

Forgot to ask what bow you are shooting. It will have alot to do with how much speed you will get. Here are the results that I have had shooting 500 grains, but I have a 30" draw so your speeds may be somewhat slower.

Martin razor X se with dyna cam......256 fps
Hoyt protech xt 2000 with cam 1/2......262 fps
Darton fury with cps 6 express cams.....264

All these bows had custom strings with tubeless peeps, cat wiskers, and a d-loop.

You will be amazed how much quieter your bow will become after adding 100 grains of arrow weight. I'll never shoot light arrows again.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Oops, sorry just reread your post. V-tec 72#. You should be very close to 250 if you have a tubeless peep. Them things rob lots of speed.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My total arrow weight is at 453 grains, and at 70# and 27", I'm getting 247 fps out of my BT Blackhawk. You should be close to 250fps with your setup.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
You can get the Black maxes up to 500 grains no problem. My 340's are 28.5" and 450-470 finished grains. Could easily get them heavier.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Fill your shafts with sand? Pretty cheap and I've known a few traditional guys that do this. Not sure how that would work out for a compound or if its adviseable. But I have seen guys shoot sand fill shafts with compounds as well, just don't know much beyond that. I'd thing if it were deemed safe, you would want to weight your arrows to keep them all in the same range.

Get Gold Tips with weighted inserts for the front and rear of the arrow?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hey folks, someone add some of these "home brewed" weighted ideas to the "Homemade" thread

·
Registered
760 Posts
This is why I come to AT!

reylamb said:
Great Idea! One question, since the weedeatyer line will not "fill" the inside of the shaft, ever notice spin problems or flight differnces?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Carbon Express selects in camo weigh 12 gpi. Mine built out with 5" feathers, 100 grn b-head weigh 488. I'm getting 265 from a Q2XL at 30.5 inches with that weight at 69 lbs. Trust me, it will bust bones and has never sayed in a deer. Always goes thru!!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
filling arrows

In the past I have filled arrows with sand and with salt. Sand has to great a weight difference. Getting the arrows to weight out was very time consuming. I then decided to switch to salt. The problem with salt is that it packs and packs and packs. Your FOC will be in a constant state of flux. The weight tubes are your best bet. UNLESS, you want to get really heavy. Then try finding a smaller diameter arrow that has a very similar outside diameter as your arrows inside diameter.

Marc

·
Registered
23 Posts
careful

Filling a shaft with sand or salt are proven and safe ways to weigh an arrow down if done correctly, but always be careful. Seen a guy completely miss a target and his arrow fly above it and land in a creek. He pick it up out of the water, put it on his bow, drew back, and released. As the arrow left his bow the kinetic energy forced the water towards the back of the arrow causing it it explode.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts