Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an older glass recurve in the mail today from a freind. He never strung it up and gave it to me. The only writing on it was 50# and it feels very stiff..anyway it has never had a string and now I have no way of knowing how to measure it for a string..is there a standard that you deduct off the overall length or do you have to bend it and then measure?Help!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Take a measuring tape and measure from nock to nock on the back of the bow. The side of the bow facing you as you shoot the bow is called the belly of the bow and the opposite side is the back of the bow. This will give you the length of the string to be made.

·
Premium Member
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but you didnt answer me as to know how much to bend the bow while measuring or measure it relaxed and the string itself will be smaller accordingly?thanks
Dave

·
Registered
271 Posts
Measure the bow nock to nock following the contour of the on the backside.
subtract 4 inches from that measurment and that is your string length. the bow does not have to be bent. even if it was bent the measurment would be the same.

·
Premium Member
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you very much! Any suggestions for a string weight for a 50lb draw? How many strands and what type? Bow is 60 inches from nock to knock so that means I need a 56inch string? Thanks
dave

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Close--to get the AMO measurement you start at the top of the string groove, follow the contour of the limb, but measure through the center of the riser. Depending on the riser design, you might get about the same measurement as you would following the back, or not.

4" off this measurement will usually get you in the ballpark with older bows.

Dacron only (B-500 or B-50), 14 strands is what I'd use. You can get away with less, but will have more stretch/creep.

Chad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts