Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Heat is the only way I know of. I usually put an old field point in and heat it with a lighter. Be advised, even a lighter on a field point can get it hot enough to ruin the arrow, take it slow...heat and pull, if it wont come out, heat some more, try again.

·
Registered
359 Posts
scriqui said:
Can someone tell me the best way to remove inserts from carbon arrows?
I use heat to remove inserts glued with most anytype of glue. Use and old point or an insert removal tool (screwdrived type tool with a threaded end made for insert removal. Mount old head in vise and apply heat to area around arrow. apply constant pressure until arrow releases from insert. You can also clamp heat gun in vise and hold insert removal tool in one hand and arrow in other and apply pull force while heating until arrow releases insert.

I also fit an build golf clubs and often change heads for folks who want to keep the shaft (carbon and steel) For this I have a tool that applies opposing forces while heating the hosel. This keep you from applying any more heat than is necessary to release adhesive. ~350 degrees F. for epoxy. Arrows do not lend themselves to a device like this since there is no leverage point on them. Although I have uses a point and backed it out enough to slip some needle nose pliers between the point and the insert and using a glove pull on the jaws of the pliars after heating until point comes out.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Another thing that often works is to take the nock out and find a drill blank that fits in the shaft. Put the drill blank in and then use a rubber band or some tape to affix a plastic bag to the insert end (to catch it). Now whip the shaft from over your head downward. The drill blank will rapidly go to the end of the shaft and impact against the insert, breaking the bond. You may have to whip it a few times, but this usually will work.

·
EXTREME BOWSTRINGS
11,629 Posts
I leave the point in and heat very slowly the very end of the tip, as it warms I slowly pull it out. But DO NOT OVER HEAT or its curtains for the arrow unless you got children you can cut it down to fit them.

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
and when you heat it up , pull the insert straight out or you can split the end of the shaft .

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
After trying all the tricks above - and superglued inserts refusing bluntly to come out - I went the low temp hot melt route both for inserts and bushings.

Just boil some water, put the shaft in it for about 5 sec and pull.

As easy as that!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.