Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!!! i got a recurve bow....and im not sure how to string it and i didn't buy the stringer (stupid me). Does anyone have any videos that can show how to string the bow without using a stringer? like putting it between the legs method? the guy at Bass Pro showed me but im too scared i'll break the bow...

·
Registered
222 Posts
you should only string a bow with a stringer. this prevent you from damage to your bow such as twisted limbs.
there is a step thru method i would strongly advised against it.
protect your recurve and invest in a stringer you'll be glad you did.
you don't want to buy a new bow again!!!!
just my opinion.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah thats true...D'oh....can i just take like a really long shoelace and tie it around the corners of the bow and proceed with the stringer method?

·
>>>--Shoot Em' Up---->
19,494 Posts

Without a Stringer I have seen people wrap one of their legs and feet around the bottom of one limb and then take both hands/arms and compress the other limb down while at the right moment with one hand,taking and sliding the end of string onto limb tip. As stated this can cause damage to your Bow if NOT done properly. I would invest in a good Stringer. Be careful.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah like in that video...i see him just pretty much cuff one side to the bow and slide that rubber thing on the bow...can i tie a really long shoelace to it and step on the shoelace and pull the bow like how he did it?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah...haha..thanks for finding the video YankeeRebel!! is it bad for the bow if i dont un-string it before storage?

·
saskarcher
5,124 Posts
leaving a recurve bow strung will not damage it,,
unless its left in a bad place. in the sun, or over a heater duct, or anywhere it may fall into the wrong hands.
The step thru method is sometimes used to string bows, but is hard to explain AND can damage a bow if done improperly...
best wait on the stringer....

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright! will do! thanks everyone :) i can't wait till i get my arrows! my recurve has this plastic arrow rest that came with it and im waiting for my artificial fletching arrows...the feather ones cost like 100 bucks :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
I prefer push-pull anyway, but I'll confirm what everyone says that if you don't do it right it is just as dangerous as they say.
I've got lots of practice; I'm teaching a friend to make Flemish strings and the guy forgets something at least once a month, so when I go over I actually have to remind myself not to treat his bow like I do mine out of courtesy. It works fine if you know what you're doing.
Hope that it can help any one want to string recurve bow : http://hunthacks.com/string-recurve-bow-without-stringer/
Thanks all.

·
C:\My Documents\My Pictur
23,094 Posts
You don't.

You don't string a recurve without a stringer. First rule of shooting a recurve.
==============

Hello
Step through method you can loose a eye.
. [ Later

·
C:\My Documents\My Pictur
23,094 Posts
==============

Hello
Step through method you can loose a eye.
. [ Later
=========
Hello Add on.
Here is what I use even tho I have other bow stringers. [ Later

Attachments

·
Registered
19,239 Posts
That guy is a complete idiot, There has been more bow ruined by string them that way & twisting the bottom limb doing so. That is why they designed bow stringers to keep the idiots from ruining there recurves.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hey everyone!!! i got a recurve bow....and im not sure how to string it and i didn't buy the stringer (stupid me). Does anyone have any videos that can show how to string the bow without using a stringer? like putting it between the legs method? the guy at Bass Pro showed me but im too scared i'll break the bow...
You never ever string a bow without a stringer if you care about the limbs. At $10 for a stringer (less than the cost of most arrows) there is no excuse. Order a stringer, even walmart has them.

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
29,416 Posts
Ha ha!!!! I am guilty as charged. I am admittedly not a serious recurve shooter but I have strung and unstrung every recurve bow I've ever used with the step through method.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Whether strung or not, do NOT store it standing up. You will twist the bottom limb that way also.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts