Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started another thread earlier today about getting back into spot shooting with my old Hoyt bow. Back in the day when I was shooting it I used (and still have) a 36" easton carbon stabilizer with no back or offset stabilizer. Now I think I'm seeing a lot of discussion about using an offset stabilizer on the back of the riser. I believe I have read that a bow that balances well helps to reduce tension and eliminates excess movement during the hold/aiming process.

How do I tell if my bow is "balanced." Do I shoot with a bow sling and a completely loose grip and see if the bow tilts forward or backward after the arrow release ? Do I just make sure the bow is balanced while it rests in my hand at full draw while aiming ?

What is the best/accepted practice to set the bow up ?

·
Loving Me Some Spirals!
13,471 Posts
It's completely balanced when you get the best possible float. You know about how well you float. Adjust weights and watch it get tighter and slower. Results based adjustments to get best scores or group sizes.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
It's an individual thing but, for me, it's balanced when it's exactly that - balanced lol. Namely, it sits balanced in my hand, or perhaps slightly heavy at the back of the bow (tilts slightly/slowly towards the target). Also, if the bow doesn't do anything radical after the shot. I.e. if it hops out of my hand into the sling on the shot and rocks gently forward, or even stays upright, that works for me. A heavy heave forward or tilting backward is an imbalanced condition.

Again, that's how it's always been comfortable for me. But for you or others, there may be other criteria.

LS

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
I could care less what the bow does at rest or after the shot. only thing that I care about is how the bow aims, if its doing something I don't like I'll change the stabilizers to fix that.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
If you're up for reading read the link posted by WCH and also I have a stabilizer set up article on my webpage. There's a link to it in my signature.

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
It's more important that your stabilizer matched your bow. It has to have the same design as your riser does. :darkbeer:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts