Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my poundage checked at two different places one said 70lbs and the other 73lbs. My arrows weigh 360 but I do have a couple that are lighter and heavier. Im afraid thats cutting it to close. Will they check everybody after they shoot? Will they weigh every arrow in my quiver? I just dont want to adjust anything while Im their, or get DQ.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
IBO i assume?? At the shoot I went to EVERYONE over a certain score was checked. I'm not sure how they determine the score. Remember in IBO you have the option of either shooting through the chrono or weighing. So if you are safe on speed it wont matter. easton94

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
They will check you at a certain score point, that score changes per class. Two years ago they checked everyone in MBO who shot 190+ for 20 targets for example.

They have/had a chrono at the starting tent and they will have them at the tent at the end of the course, your pick shoot through the chrono for under 280 or weight for 5gr/lb. You get one pick so pick which one you know you are good to go on.

They may have them at the start so you can check there if you want.

--Bob

·
Extreme Opinionated One
43,787 Posts
They seemed to be checking everyone a the triple crowns this year who were over 195 for 20 targets. My advice is dont run on the hairy edge. Give yourself some breathing room because all scales and chronos aren't the same. And let me tell you it would be embarassing and painfull to no end to get DQ'd at the worlds after shooting a good score.

·
Registered
134 Posts
There will be a trigger score/class. I you are above that score, welcome to the scales and chronograph, congratulations.
Thw trigger scores will be set next week. No, I will not tell you what they are.
Give yourself some breathing room. There is no reason in the world (pun) to play it so close that you will get disqualified with a bit of string stretch.
ken12

·
Registered
11 Posts
280 fps ''OR'' 5 grns. p.p.

you dont get checked both ways, you have the option of speed OR weight, not both.
so, if your arrow weighs 5grains or more but your speed is 280+, then you have your equiptment checked by weight.
if your arrow weighs less than 5 gr. but you are shooting 280 or slower, then you have your equiptment check by speed.
hope this helps.

3-D4Life

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
I thought IBO had no speed rating, but was based on arrow weight and bow pull#? I was wrong:

IBO Webite-----
15. EQUIPMENT

A. 5 grains per pound or 280 FPS (shooters choice)
Shooter’s arrows must weigh at least five grains per pound of shooting weight. Shooting weight is defined as the peak draw weight (maximum draw weight or thrust weight, which ever is greater) that is obtained within the maximum draw cycle. Shooters will be allowed 5 grains for scale differences. Shooters at the maximum end of a weight allowed for a class will be allowed two pounds for scale variation, but arrow weight must follow bow weight. Equipment will be checked at random.

The five grains per pound limit will not apply if the shooters bow and arrow combination generates less than 280 FPS of arrow speed. If the arrow speed is higher than 280 FPS the shooters equipment will be subject to the 5 grains per pound limitation. Shooters will be allowed a 3% grace for chronograph differential. When a shooter is asked to have his or her equipment checked they will be required to choose which way they would like it checked. One way or the other, not both.
Please note: It is the shooter’s responsibility to maintain their equipment within this rule.
Further note: Check manufacturer's recommendation concerning arrow weight per pound of bow weight. It is recommended, that you do not shoot an arrow weighing less than the minimum recommendation for your bow.
-------------------

LeEarl

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I don't get it. It is very easy for a person to turn thier limb bolt to make thier poundage lower and speed slower then turn the bolts after the test to go to a higher speed. I know a Real archer would not do this but I assume there are aome who would. How is that being prevented?

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
IBO website--------------

Limb bolts. - Once a shooter begins a course, their limb bolts may not be adjusted until after the equipment can be checked by range officials at the completion of that course.

-----------------------------

·
Registered
134 Posts
The same person that is in charge of not allowing score cards to be changed, is in charge of limb bolts also.

Noting the above quotes of the minimum arrow weights and speed rule.
If your arrow weighs more than 5grns/lb., speed is not limited.
If your arrow weighs less than the 5grns/lb. THEN your maximum speed is 280fps.
ken

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Brad, you get checked when shooting is done, you walk from the last target to the checkin tent with your group, they will make sure you don't. Of course there are ways to try and do it, just as in NAA shoots when they check to make sure you aren't over 60 lbs, you can still tweak when noones looking, if you are that kind of person.

--Bob

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
brad when i shot over the trigger score at the winternationals they put a sticker on my limb bolts. course you could take it off, change it and put it back on. this is all a matter of shooting ethics. if someone has to cheat to beat me then i guess thats on their concious. ive also heard of people taking a really heavy arrow that looks identical to the rest and shooting it through the chrono. i dont play that way but it happens. easton94

·
Extreme Opinionated One
43,787 Posts
The heavy arrow trick could work against the unwary but not against a pain in the butt like me. I always make them shoot a different arrow than the one they pick. I like to catch cheaters and DQ them. Don't try it at my club when I'm running a shoot.

·
Registered
134 Posts
DON"T PUSH IT!
The person running the check can select any arrow they want to from your quiver.
It takes to long to get there, to much work and practice. To expensive,too much publicity if you are dq'ed.

It happens every year, especially at the worlds. A few think they can get by the system.

Do yourself a favor don't try it! No amount of arguing that the scale is wrong, my string stretched or it's not my fault is going to matter. You get one choice: the chronograph or the scales.
You will be disqualified if you are under weight per pound or beyond the speed allowed(per your choice).
ken12 (ken watkins)

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
good job punch_master, that was just my experience at the winternationals. i dont ever have to worry because i am always set up to be safe either way. like i said if they have to cheat to beat me, let them try...itll catch up in the end. easton94

·
Registered
423 Posts
So Let me get this straight , my new supertec is set at 58#, shooting a 28.5 inch 400 lightspeed weighing in at 305gn .
So eventhough through the chrony I am getting around 295fps out of this setup. I wouldn't be disqualified because my arrows are heavier than 5gns per pound .

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
Yes your ok just tell them your shooting 5gr per lbs or more.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
thats exactly right bruce. doesnt make much sense does it???:confused: not sure why they think that is a good system. give a speed advantage somewhat to longer draw length shooters. easotn94

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
Long draw shooters have an advantage no matter what. If they go to 280fps rule the long draw shooters can shoot large diameter arrows and still get the speed. They can use a heavier arrow which helps in the wind.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts