Archery Talk Forum banner

How do you age a PA buck that doesn't have any teeth left?

859 15
My buddy shot this State Forest land buck this morning on our PA opener at 12 yards at 815. After taking a closer look inside his mouth we discovered he only had his front teeth left, all the molars are completely gone down to the gums. We have trail cam pics of him from the last 2 years which were taken well over 1.5 miles from the kill site. I don't have his kill pics uploaded so I will link the trail cam pics of him.
http://archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=744880

Any guesses how old he is? From looking at all the jawbone aging charts I could find they still show teeth at 8.5 years old. BTW-he weighed 170 pounds dressed.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,391 Posts
I cant see anything, is that the entire address?

· Registered
1,391 Posts
OK i see it now, very old. Upwards of 8. He was on the downhill side and a great buck to harvest. Congrats, but why no harvest pics/story?

· Registered
2,403 Posts
No teeth...old man right there!

· Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My buddy shot the buck. It was the third buck he saw this morning and came right in rubbing trees and snapping them off.

No harvest pics because I do not have his permission yet to post them and will not until I do. I would love to see him have this deer mounted but I don't think he is going to do it. I beleive he is going to a european mount which should be pretty unique without any teeth.

· Registered
11,291 Posts
Is that buck even legal? I see in the trailcam pics that he is five point. I thought they had to be four per side to be legal? I'm not trying to be smart or anything, I was just wondering. With that said, he needed to be harvested, he looked well past his prime for sure!:wink: Cool looking deer:darkbeer:

· Registered
10,765 Posts
Is that buck even legal? I see in the trailcam pics that he is five point. I thought they had to be four per side to be legal? I'm not trying to be smart or anything, I was just wondering. With that said, he needed to be harvested, he looked well past his prime for sure!:wink: Cool looking deer:darkbeer:
It depends on what WMU it was shot it. Western PA has mostly the 4pts on a side rule, while most of the rest of the state is 3 pts.

· Registered
11,291 Posts
That deer came across from West Virginia.:embara::embara::embara: Sorry, I had to do it.
HAHA, I would love to see a deer get that old in WV. If they make it to 3.5 they are lucky! I hunted PA for the first time on saturday and the difference in the deer is very noticable. out of 8 of us hunting we saw five shooter bucks and tons of does. Only one out of our group killed one and it was a really nice 11 pointer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.