Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you blend in with a climber? I feel very exposed since I can only climb to the first decent sized tree branch.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thats a good question,,,,,,, Hight is how I deal with it, often going atleast 25ft up. And like you say to the first good sized branch. A large tree also helps. I use an Old man and I normaly sit faceing the tree and faceing the direction I think the deer will be coming from.

·
Registered
450 Posts
you could git some of the camo mesh or some others like what walmart sells and rap around and attach it to the seat part and lit it hang down that works really well for me

·
Registered
420 Posts
Background is important. Pines behind when the leaves are down for example. Breaking up your silhouette against the sky. I think more important than blending in is the amount of lower cover to obscure the line of sight of the deer near the deer. Hard for them to se out of the sapling branches until they walk into a shooting lane. One of my favs is being right by grape vines in the trees where I can snip some shooting lanes through.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
This requires just a bit of planning and scouting..as opposed to just walking in and picking a tree. Try to find a tree that has nearby trees with limbs or such to give cover around you. Climb until you are in the best position to cover yourseld and have visibility.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I try to pick forked trees to climb. This way I can situate myself against the other side with my climber. Some of the forked trees I climb require a section of my climbing sticks to be able to climb in easier, but it works great for me.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
your best way to blend in is to make sure you have background. Other than that the person who suggested the cammo wrap around the seat portion had a great Idea as well. I also have the Summit skin on the bottom and sides of my climber which helps break up the stand a bit

·
Registered
605 Posts
blend in

First of all, I put a bunch of camo tape on the bottom of my stand. Only on the bottom and some on the sides since the deer will only see(or hopefully not) those parts of the stand. Secondly, I just recently discovered this. Before going up the tree, I just grab a few sticks with a bunch of branches on it. Once set up, I just wedge the branches onto my stand to help break up my pattern. Just use what nature gives you!

·
Registered
24,900 Posts
i go up high. i usually like to climb trees by pine trees. i face my stand toward the pine so it covers me. that depends on were i thiunk the deer are going to come from also

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
man, now that the leaves are gone i've been busted a few times. Do the sticks you place in your stand get into the way when you move around?

Also how many sticks or branches do you use?

Seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I try and find a tree that has other stuff in the background so that I am not skyit.

I also try and get to about 20 feet when possible. I have killed deer in places where I felt I was out in the open with it. The trick is to make sure you are not moving around or fidgeting.

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
I do about 90% of my hunting out of my old ole man, and to date I have killed about 70 deer out of it. The number one best method I have found is plain old getting high! Get you a quality harness and get as high as you are comfortable with. I have really found that you can get away with alot if you hunt in the 30 foot range...but it does make the shot more difficult. It really helps as the season goes and the trees lose their foliage.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I agree the movement will kill more than anything. Also I try to set up where deer are traveling on a trail, instead of milling around when on the move they seem to not notice you as much.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I like to tie cedar branches to the bottom of the climber. It gives you something to hide behind if needed.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
My climber is all black. Well the side pockets are camo.
The day I took my 7pnt this year I was maybe 20ft up in a mostly tall tree area, very little cover. He had no clue.

I think a comfortable height and being prepaired and quiet is your best advantage. I might be more concerned about blending in when I hunt from the ground.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
i like to go up 18-20 ft min.i also try to find a tree that a large dia. i believe this helps to breakup you outline too.somtimes i have the cables to their last noch and its a real pain to climb but can be done.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i strap pieces of 1 inch square metal tubing to my arms and legs, sort of like a mechanical ghillie suit -- then I blend in fine with the climber.

Really -- you need tall straight trees, without branches, with a climber. Sometimes it makes snese to saw off a few branches. But background is key: pick a clump of trees together and work the climber into the middle of them; climb a pine until you hit the hanging branches; pick a tree with other trees next to it like pines. Some of my best stands with climbers have been arrow-straight maples 3 or 4 feet off of a pine.

I feel best in a climber when I get 20-25 feet up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts