Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to do this, but sometimes it needs done to re-serve. How do you go about carefully cutting off center servings, end servings etc... I've cut a strand a few times doing this....

·
Patriot
5,052 Posts
I've done it with a brand new single edge razor blade, moving very slowly....

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I use a razor blade and try to cut one wrapp on the serving and then unwrapp it. I just got done doing this about 20min ago. It takes awhile to unwrap it but alot safer then trying to cut down the whole length.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use a new razor blade to but its hard to cut just that one wrap and not the string underneath it sometimes :confused:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I use two pairs of needle pliers on the serving and I will twist them back and forth to loosen the serving off the string, making sure not to contact the string with the pliers. Then when it gets a little loose I will pull up a strand with needle nose pliers and cut it, unravel, your done. No damaged strings yet.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use two pairs of needle pliers on the serving and I will twist them back and forth to loosen the serving off the string, making sure not to contact the string with the pliers. Then when it gets a little loose I will pull up a strand with needle nose pliers and cut it, unravel, your done. No damaged strings yet.
I like that method. I will try that next time. Razor blades make it nerve wrecking...

·
Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,268 Posts
I use an X-acto knife with the real small, very pointy blade, and my head mounted magnifier. Point the sharp edge of the blade AWAY from the string and just cut the first strand. Then spen the next 10 minutes unwinding the old serving.......:darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I use an X-acto knife with the real small, very pointy blade, and my head mounted magnifier. Point the sharp edge of the blade AWAY from the string and just cut the first strand. Then spen the next 10 minutes unwinding the old serving.......:darkbeer:
Darn mine took 15 minutes to unwind.
I do like the plier Idea never tried that before. Wish I would have know that hour ago.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm mostly talking center servings...I would rather just make a new string than unwrap serving for 10-15 minutes :mg:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts

I do what he said... i feel like i got more control with that much handle

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
a sharp exacto knife works well, lay the blade flat and put "NO" downward pressure against the string, usea very short sawing motion and you can shave the entire serving off most of the time, otherwise, unwrap it

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I just use my knife when it is sharp and lay it against the string(like the string were a honing stone) and slide it down and across the first strand or two of serving. Never had a problem with this.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Wow you people are taking way too long to unwrap your serving. Once I get it started I will lay my finger on the serving and either pull or push it depending on which direction the serving goes. This will untwist and loosen up about the first ten revolutions of serving and leave a loop that you can grab onto and pull unwinding the whole bunch. After a couple times you have to take a scissors and cut the excess or it gets in the way. After a bit of practice you can remove a center serving in no time and even a real long serving should take no more than a couple or three minutes.

Oh and Exacto knife or box cutter seem to work the best for me to get it started.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Your local sewing and fabric store will have a seam ripper ... that is what I use.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Wow, you guys are brave getting razorblades and exacto knives that close to the string!!! :eek: I simply take a pair of fingernail clippers, snip it where the end serving is melted down on top of itself and start unwrapping. Unwrap a bunch, snip it off, start unwrapping again. Not saying someone else's way is wrong, I just don't trust myself that close to the string with a blade! :mg:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, you guys are brave getting razorblades and exacto knives that close to the string!!! :eek: I simply take a pair of fingernail clippers, snip it where the end serving is melted down on top of itself and start unwrapping. Unwrap a bunch, snip it off, start unwrapping again. Not saying someone else's way is wrong, I just don't trust myself that close to the string with a blade! :mg:
Good idea. I like it. Trying to stray away from razor blades.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts