Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've field dressed many a deer,but this turkey hunting will be new to me. Anybody know of a good web site that shows good detail of how to dress a turkey out? Or anybody got any good tips that might help me. In case I get lucky and accidently end up getting a turkey! :tongue:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Take a sharp knife and cut around the vent. Then make a cut th the left and right to open up this area. Reach in as far as you can and grab hold and pull (Gloves are nice). The entire insides should come out. Take some paper towels and wipe out the body cavity. Then insert some ice to cool down.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
butthole

·
Registered
536 Posts
ALL RIGHTYYYY so just cut around the butt.... cut to the right and left and just pull?.... no need to cute the esophagus or anything else inside?

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
that's not how we do it but i'm not saying it's not good at all. We hang the turkey up by it's neck (like a deer). cut around the throat, split it to it's wings, skin to the wing joint and cut them off, and then just skin it like a deer. Cut the legs off. Then pull the guts n vitals out. We usually look in the crawl(spelling) and gizzard to see what they've been eating. I don't eat the gizzard and livers but I still clean them up and give them to two of my friends that loooooove them.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I lay the turkey on its back with it's head facing you. Cut the skin up the center from the neck to a-hole. Kind of carve the breast out like a thanksgiving bire. Start at the center bone on one side. Keep the knife along the bone, and cut down until the breast is free. I don't mess with the legs, just the breasts. hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
I have seen them just cut open and the breast cut out, that's the best part!!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I just take the breast. Run a knife along the breast bone on each side, then along the ribs on each side. To me the legs are as tough as a tennis shoe and not worth messin' with. Plus you can avoid the bootyhole.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
just lay it on its back, cut a slit at the breast bone, stick your fingers in and pull the skin way down away from the breast, and down past the thighs. when you can see the leg and thigh meat, take and push the legs out away form the body to make more room to work. Filet the breast meat off the bone. Take your knife and cut any dark meat away from the legs and thighs that you want. discard carcass.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Filet them like a duck/goose, the breast is 90% of a meat on a turkey.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I hang them by a rope around the neck and skin them..cut off the wings at the first joint....cut the legs off about 2" below the knee's..than make a cut on each side of the breast and than pull the breast cavity open and pull out the the good stuff and do the finale cleaning.....ready for the smoker.:beer::beer:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Filet them like a duck/goose, the breast is 90% of a meat on a turkey.
i have to disagree with this,,,,maybe 50% of a turkey is breast but not 90%....

there is a lot of good meat on the back,thighs,wings and legs......its an old wives tale about the legs and thighs being tough. Most use it as an excuse to not fool with the rest of a turkey.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My first Turkey hunt starts in few weeks. I posted this same question on another site and got so many different responses I became even more confused. I guess it will be like my first deer. I will be alone and just learn by digging in and getting it done.:confused:

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
We have the whole bird smoked, so...............

We pluck or skin, gut, and clean the body cavity with paper towels. To prep for smoking slice and clip wings at the joint and slice and clip legs at the joint.

A butcher smokes them for us and they are considered fully cooked when we get them back. We just put them in a covered pan and warm them before serving.

Good hunting.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts