Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a set of 4 lone wolf sticks. how do you guys hold them while you're climbing? i was thinking of tying a little loop around my back belt buckle, and hanging the sticks i'm not using behind me. then take the group, unbuckle them, use one, buckle the remaining ones and hang them while i'm strapping to the tree. is this what y'all do? i want to avoid going up and down the tree several times.

·
Scout, Hunt, Kill!!!
4,261 Posts
Buy a lineman's belt and use it.

Install bottom stick; climb to top of bottom stick; install second stick. Climb down and pick up two remaining sticks; hang stand on back; clip pull up rope from bow to safety harness; climb up hang two remaining sticks and install EZ-Hang Bracket; place stand on bracket and cinch straps down. Enter stand and hunt.

Takes about 10-15 mins if you take your time and you only make one trip down tree and two trips up it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
That's a giant pain to set up. Would someone use this setup if it was on a weird tree or something u couldn't use a climber on. 30 minutes of setup there wouldn't be a deer for a mile.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I put em up one at a time. I try not to hurry with em. Went up with wet boots last year, little too quickly. I slipped and took a step to the scrotum. Luckily my pants were strong enough to stop my momentum and keep me from being eviscerated.

·
Scout, Hunt, Kill!!!
4,261 Posts
It can be a pain and is definitely not as safe or easy as a climber. I'd much rather use a climber myself. However, sometimes the perfect tree isn't always shaped like a telephone pole. It's meant to be a mobile, versatile system.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Use the lineman belt. I put clips on the sticks w/a piece of rope so I can attach 2 of them to my belt. I set the bottom one up on the tree. Hook the other two to my belt so they are hanging off my left and right butt cheek. I hold the 2nd one and step up on the first one. I also have my bow pull up rope attached to the last stick. I install the second one climb up on it and get one off my belt, etc.

Takes 5 minutes from start to having my saddle on and my bow up. The lineman/safety belt allows you to climb and install the sticks quicker and quieter (2 hands are free!!!) I think it's stupid to try and install them w/o a belt.

·
Liv4Rut
7,318 Posts
I hang first from ground. Climb up that step hang second, climb down, grab 3rd climb up to second stick hang that. Climb down grab 4th stick and stand climb up and hang rest. Easier than trying to haul them up with you and takes about 7 minutes to be hunting granted the tree is ideal without tons of limbs to cut.

·
Greg Fleming
230 Posts
I made the video posted above, thanks for the props! I have refined my setup a bit since making that video, and I am in the process of doing a brand new video. I can set up 5 sticks and a stand in less than 5 minutes. Since the LW carrying strap didn't hold up for very long, I found another way to attach the shoulder strap to the sticks. I used two stainless picture frame hangers like the ones below and attached them to my bottom stick with self-tapping screws, and used those to attach the shoulder strap to. I use that stick as my bottom stick when I stack them.

The best way I can explain how I carry them up the tree is to tell you how I pack them. This is how I pack five sticks, but you could do the same for four. First, take the base stick with the shoulder strap attached and stack two more on top of it. Take the LW strap from the top stick of those three and wrap it down and around all three sticks once and attach it back to its own versa button and cinch it down. This will hold those three sticks together for climbing. Next, stack your fourth and fifth stick on top of those three and again use the top stick's strap to secure the 5 stick together as you did before. This works better than the plastic snap buckle that comes with the sticks, and cinches up tighter.

When I get to my tree, I take the first two sticks off and hang the first one, set the second aside, and throw the other three over my shoulder (similar to the video). I then grab the second stick, attach my lineman's belt to the tree, and climb to the top of that stick, hanging the second stick. Once you get to the top of the second stick, swing the sticks around in front of you and use the lineman's belt as a platform to take the sticks apart. Hang the third stick with the fourth free one laying on your lineman's belt, and the base stick still on your back. Climb on up and hang the fourth and then the fifth stick.

IMO, this is the best and most effective way to use the LW sticks. If you are smart about how you do things, you should only have to make one trip up the tree before you are sitting in your stand enjoying another hunt. If you are interested, watch for a new video popping up on my youtube account here very soon!

·
Registered
511 Posts
O.K. I think I'm following you Greg, but two quick questions come to mind. When you're setting your third stick, it would seem kind of awkward working on hanging it, what with reaching around the tree to connect the strap and all, all while your fourth stick is balancing or teetering across your linesman's harness. Have you ever knocked the fourth stick off or had it fall off, because that would sure cause a stir in the woods? Second of all, if you're now using the cam strap to secure your sticks, did you remove the little strap and buckle that is installed there for that purpose, to keep it from dangling and clanking around, or do you just still go ahead and use it anyway along with the cam strap? Thanks alot. You're kind of famous...lol, because on every website where this topic comes up, you're video gets referred!

·
Greg Fleming
230 Posts
O.K. I think I'm following you Greg, but two quick questions come to mind. When you're setting your third stick, it would seem kind of awkward working on hanging it, what with reaching around the tree to connect the strap and all, all while your fourth stick is balancing or teetering across your linesman's harness. Have you ever knocked the fourth stick off or had it fall off, because that would sure cause a stir in the woods? Second of all, if you're now using the cam strap to secure your sticks, did you remove the little strap and buckle that is installed there for that purpose, to keep it from dangling and clanking around, or do you just still go ahead and use it anyway along with the cam strap? Thanks alot. You're kind of famous...lol, because on every website where this topic comes up, you're video gets referred!
Haha, not trying to be famous, just trying to make someone's life simpler. If I can achieve that, than I feel I have accomplished what I have set out to do!

I have never had an issue with dropping a stick. Usually when I am haning the third stick, I slide the buckle on the strap to where I'm sure it has plenty of length to get around the tree, and flip it around to the other hand. If you do that, you can keep tension on the lineman's rope while hanging the stick. The lineman's rope is wide enough at your body that you shouldn't have an issue with the stick falling off as long as you keep tension on the rope.

If this doesn't work for you, another little trick you can do is take a small keychain carabiner and cover it with shrink tubing to quiet it up. take a small piece of paracord and attach the carabiner to the top step of the stick. Instead of laying the stick across your lineman's rope, you can attach it to a belt loop or your harness until you climb on up.

As far as the black strap and plastic buckle goes, I broke that a long time ago trying to cinch it too tight, that's when I came up with my current method! :)

·
Beer Whisperer
11,076 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
I like the muddy way......they have that stick holder that attaches to their harness. Its faster and less movement.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Take one stick, take the two bolts out at the end of only one of the sticks (one bolt holds nothing, the other bolt holds the foot peg and footing on). Then you can remove the plastic end caps. Drill a 1/4" hole in center of end caps. Cut two pieces of braided nylon 1/8" cord about 12" long (make it however long you like) Tie a overhand knot in the cord to make a loop. Run the loop through the hole in the end cap. Put the end caps back on the stick, and re-insert the bolts, making sure they pass through the loop. Now you have a silent way to attach a shoulder strap with plastic clips, which you can buy at sporting goods stores, or take one off carrying bag, etc.

With the way that the Lone Wolf strap that holds the sticks together, you will be having to un-lease all the sticks at one time as you climb the tree. I chunked the original lashing strap that came with the sticks, and use individual straps, so that I can remove one stick at a time as I ascend the tree. In order to hold all the sticks together during transport, I use two cam buckle straps, which I remove prior to climbing the tree. You have to use these additional straps to do this because the individual straps will not be strong enough to hold all the sticks together during transport. This sounds like more trouble than it's worth, but believe me, it works great, and is absolutely quiet.

I was also using another method, (which works equally well if you are using a tree saddle). I used the same rope loop method, but I made some plastic flats and attached them to the loops. The flats allow you to hang each stick into the loops on the saddle belt. I have pictures of some of this on the tree saddle thread on this website, or I might be able to re-post here if anyone is interested.

I really liked the second method, but actually prefer carrying them up with the shoulder strap method. By the way, I got the shoulder strap idea from the link that BDU archer posted, I just modified to suit me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey gf319804

Take the LW strap from the top stick of those three and wrap it down and around all three sticks once and attach it back to its own versa button and cinch it down. This will hold those three sticks together for climbing. Next, stack your fourth and fifth stick on top of those three and again use the top stick's strap to secure the 5 stick together as you did before. This works better than the plastic snap buckle that comes with the sticks, and cinches up tighter.
I have to admit I didn't read the whole thread before I posted to it. I'll have to try this instead of using the individual straps that I use... sounds like it works great. Thanks for posting the original video ... it was a great help.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I put the stand on my back(shoulder straps), attatch a bow rope to my stand with bow attatched to it.

I use nylon cinch straps to attatch my sticks to my stand when Im heading to the woods, I take those two cinch straps and make two loops on each side of my linemens. they are basically hanging off each hip.

I then attatch the 1st stick from the ground. I hook the v bracket from the stick in the cinch staps loops on my hip. Climb up the 1st stick and hang the 2nd. Keep climbing and attatch 3rd and 4th stick without coming down. I usually use a tree step or 3 if i want to go higher then 4 sticks.

Once at the top of my sticks, I take my stand off my back and hang the stand.

Step on the stand and pull my bow up with already attatched rope, and im ready to hunt. Easy Peasy.

Good linemans belt is the Key

1 - 18 of 18 Posts