Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decide what to set my bow poundage to by taking my bow and holding out away from my body, arm fully extended and locked then attaching my release to my loop being able to pull my string back without struggling. I also try doing this with a heavy jacket on also. If I struggle at all then I back the poundage off until I can draw back with ease.:) :)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Poundage?

I was told or taught to draw the bow and hold it for about 3-5 seconds 10 times while setting on a bar stool or chair, applying kinda the same principles that you are. Makes a little difference sitting!!

·
Registered
933 Posts
i've always heard to sit cross legged on the ground and try to pull straight back. If you have to lift your arm or struggle a bit, then back it off and try again. Also see if you can hold at full draw for 20 seconds without shaking terribly.

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
Well, I have always shot 70# bows ever since I was 14 lol, and I could indeed go higher, but there's no need. That being said, I have always done the standard draw back without arching your back, or raising arms, etc. , then once at full draw I want to be able to hold it for at least 20 seconds without turning to jello.

I've taken it to a whole different level though lol, now I test my 70# bows by drawing back and aiming, but with no intentions to shoot, usually just talk to a buddy while at full draw to see how long I can remain steady and on target. When I start shaking, I let down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts