Archery Talk Forum banner

How do you determine what arrow size is right

1258 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  nuts&bolts
I was looking around at some websites and noticed that arrows come in different sizes. i saw two , 350, and 400. whats the difference between the two?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· I Got Serious!
3,398 Posts
Those numbers are the stiffness/spine of the arrow, it depends on your DL,DW,arrow length,cam style, and speed of your bow as to which spine you should use.

· Registered
47 Posts
350 and 400 have to do with the strength of the spine of the arrow. Most arrow manufacturers will have arrow charts on their website to help you figure out the best arrow for your draw length and draw weight.

· Registered
6,098 Posts
What they said is right, you use you DL and Weight to see what arrow spine you should buy. Under spine is dangerous and they can explode and to stiff just wont fly well for you at all. For example im shooting 30" draw at 59lb and use the 400 from Easton. Goldtips Hunting arrows use more of a generous system and they sell the 55-75 and 75-90 and it basically just goes off weight.

· Registered
3,064 Posts
I was looking around at some websites and noticed that arrows come in different sizes. i saw two , 350, and 400. whats the difference between the two?
Those number on the arrow sometimes, but not always refer to the static spine(stiffness) of the arrow. You have to look in the manufacturer specification of the arrow you are consdiering to find out the spine rating of the arrow. Sometimes the number is just a model number used by the manufacturer to differentiate between arrows.

To find the correct arrow for your setup you need to consult either a selection chart from the manufacturer or utilize one of several software programs on the market for this purpose.

If you are consulting the charts, keep in mind that they are generic representation provided by the manufacturer to fit all bows within a certain range and may not reflect what is correct for your setup. When using the charts you have to compute your "adjusted draw weight" as the charts use this instead of your actual peak draw weight. For example my hunting bow has an "adjusted" weight of 71# even though I am using a 60# draw weight, my target bow also set to 60# has an "adjusted draw weight" of 65#. To calculate this there is a complex formula provided by most manfacturers to perform this task. Once you have the "adjusted weight" you then select an arrow based on this weight and the arrow length you are intending to shoot.

I recommend utilizing a software program such as On Target Software for Archers, www.pinwheelsoftware.com, to perform this task. By selecting your bow from a database of bows and then entering all of the pertinent information into the program and select a brand arrow you want to shoot, the program will then perform the above mentioned calculations for you and suggest a list of arrows that will match what is called your dynamic spine range.

good luck

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The DL is 28 or 29 and DW is 60lbs. that would be really helpful. What arrows do you guys use? and when u order arrows online do they come ready to shoot or what else must you buy for them to make them usable?

· Registered
3,064 Posts
The DL is 28 or 29 and DW is 60lbs. that would be really helpful. What arrows do you guys use? and when u order arrows online do they come ready to shoot or what else must you buy for them to make them usable?
When ordering arrows online, they come full length(31 inches typically) meaning you would need to take them to someone to have them cut to your desired arrow length.

You can either order them bare shaft and install fletching of your choice or some offer a choice of fletching already glued on.

Most times you have to glue the inserts in after you have cut them before you can shoot them

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.