Archery Talk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Great subject and despite a lot of good to great explanations, we will never be able to fully explain the draw to this sport. I suppose the draw can be different for each of us. For me the draw can be very multi faceted.

For white tail deer in my state the season is quite long. This lengthily season offers choices to hunt warm weather, the fall rut & or late season snowy weather. All time frames can be good to great. few of us would disagree that the rut time frame tends to be most eventful & thus satisfying.

The allure can be very satisfying without drawing the bow on game or even seeing the game you are after for many days. One of my most memorable seasons & so satisfying I had come close really close to getting a shot on a 150 class buck on 3 occasions. Needing to get so close un-detected on a game animal with such keen senses and whether things go right or wrong when a shot opportunity is at hand, the adrenaline rush can be intence.

Filling a tag can frequently come with mixed emotions.

Always wanted to hunt elk though never made that hunt work out.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Oh man, this cannot be put into words. Really, I've tried but after years of explanation I've found it's best left alone. People get lost when you try and explain what I consider the semantics and romantics of archery. I could probably go on for days about the same things most on this site can as well. I've found it's something you experience. Not something easily explained. Once its experienced it's simply just "understood." Some play the archery game for years and never experience the understanding and some experience it early on. And that's all I have to say about that...😎😎

·
Registered
Right Turn Clyde
818 Posts
When someone ask me about bow hunting and how I became so obsessed with it, I tell them about the first time I drew down on deer. I tell them: I thought I was gonna pass out and fall out of the stand. That my heart rate went from 70 to 150 and I couldn’t breath. I tell them that it shook me to my core and deeply resonated with me. I end it with, “I can’t explain it to you but I can take you and you can see for yourself.”

I keep a couple of bows that I can change length/weight really quickly and have lots of extra gear. I work with them for a week or two and we go. Had a couple of takers, now they understand.

·
Registered
Right Turn Clyde
818 Posts
Great subject and despite a lot of good to great explanations, we will never be able to fully explain the draw to this sport. I suppose the draw can be different for each of us. For me the draw can be very multi faceted.

For white tail deer in my state the season is quite long. This lengthily season offers choices to hunt warm weather, the fall rut & or late season snowy weather. All time frames can be good to great. few of us would disagree that the rut time frame tends to be most eventful & thus satisfying.

The allure can be very satisfying without drawing the bow on game or even seeing the game you are after for many days. One of my most memorable seasons & so satisfying I had come close really close to getting a shot on a 150 class buck on 3 occasions. Needing to get so close un-detected on a game animal with such keen senses and whether things go right or wrong when a shot opportunity is at hand, the adrenaline rush can be intence.

Filling a tag can frequently come with mixed emotions.

Always wanted to hunt elk though never made that hunt work out.
Well stated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for thinking up an original post that brings out some great stories and insights. For me, it is often the feeling of "hunting" vs. shooting. I think that archery requires more things to fall into place, more preparation, and more skill on the side of the hunter to be ethical and successful. Plus not much beats sitting in a stand seeing your bow hang of the limb next to you.

·
Registered
Elite Kure
550 Posts
I, like many others, started hunted as a young 12yo boy. shot my first deer/buck that year with my dad by my side. i was instantly hooked on hunting from that point on and for the next 13 years the firearm season was all i knew and i loved it. Over those years i harvested several deer and i’ve always been patient and let them come “too close” according to my dad and my hunting party. lots of “were you waiting until he was IN your stand before shooting?” jokes.

Eventually I got bored of using a rifle. The challenge was gone. Each harvest became less and less special. I decided to try bow hunting and instantly fell in love. The challenge was back and very real. The extra scouting, the longer season, learning things like shooting form, better scent control, playing the wind, fine tuning the bow, etc was addicting. The adrenaline rush of watching a deer come in from 100+ yards to 20 before shooting...not because i could this time but because i had to. Sitting out in the woods like a fly on the wall and just letting nature do it’s thing like i wasn’t even there...it’s just therapeutic. i too find that bow hunting is hard to explain to a firearm only hunter or non hunter like my wife but my go to answer is always the significant challenge increase and therapy.

i have a good friend who’s a lifetime duck/goose hunter. he did his first bow hunt last year after owning a bow for 6+ years. he only had time for a few weeks of hunting until he had report for his deployment. I helped him scout and setup his stand showing him how to find sign and setup downwind from a hot trail. He called me after his first morning sit and the first words out of his mouth were “I’m hooked! That was awesome!” He didn’t even see a deer! It’s just something about it

I still hunt firearm season every year too because it’s the only hunting my dad does and i cherish that time with him. He won’t be around forever and i don’t wanna miss it as time passes by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is my perspective to a T

·
Registered
912 Posts
The challenge of up close with a bow. The challenge of how far away with a gun.
I prefer "up close" hunting, however I do rifle hunt some.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
This is great fellas! I’m really enjoying all these stories and deep thoughts. I know I’m a “new” guy still, but I’m not here to get a post count up or anything like that, just genuinely want to hear from y’all. There’s so much negativity and change in our society right now that I’ve found myself forgetting the joy in the little things lately. It’s refreshing to hear the deep bind that each of you hold with archery and hunting. Best thing to happen all week!

·
Registered
Hoyt Axius Ultra 71# 30" DL 550g Airstrike 200g Cutthroat Sx3 Heavy
434 Posts
I'm 35 but I was 32 when God gave me a plan for my life. Married with 4 kids and one on the way, just lost my job and being in California, I had a hard time finding more work to support us. So God said move back home. (I never came back from the military). Move home, there would be a job I was to work for four years, buy a house with 5 acres of land and live off the land. Which meant raising livestock as well. I am to do so within 4 years of moving.
I moved, God gave me good work within a month and I'm still with the same company. I met a guy who bowhunts. God spoke. Hunting would prove more valuable than raising animals and I would do both. I dont have to feed or care for wild game. I picked up a bow and dove in. Cant get enough of it and filled a tag both seasons, a buck and a cow elk. Out there alone with my bow and bible, I get more time with the Lord one on one in his creation. I seriously cant get enough.

Given the timing of His plan for me considering covid and what is going on in the world, His plan is right on time. As it always is.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
i think it's the challenge. imagine,...if your rifle is sighted in good, can you realistically visualise fully missing a deer at 40 or 50 yards with your '06 ?. think of how bad a shot that would have to be. now,....consider that same shot with a bow......would even consider taking it ?.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
The Challenge to get Close enough to the animal and then making the SHOT! Many things can disrupt all of this; scent, limb in the way you cannot see and archers ability to Make that Shot are just a few for Me. But been doing it for 30 years now, so I am getting better at all of the parts of Bow Hunting but still Working on them each time I head Out to the Stand... To each bowhunter their own trails of getting It Done.
LFM

·
Registered
150 Posts
I grew up fishing and small game hunting with my very involved father. He was sitting next to me when I killed my first whitetail buck with a rifle. However dad wasn't a bowhunter and once I was smitten with archery, everything else dimmed in comparison. Due to my busy college and early married life schedules, it took me a few years to score a whitetail with a bow but was well worth the wait and learning curve. I regret totally abandoning firearms hunting for 30 years as I missed out on time with dad and family, but you only learn that in retrospect. The past few seasons I have once again taken up a rifle on opening day to be with friends who are unable to bowhunt due to injuries and such. Having killed a handful of deer with a firearm, it is enjoyable as a process but not nearly as exciting as sitting in a stand or blind watching a deer get closer with a bow in hand.
I'm in a very similar place, I grew up big woods rifle hunting with my father and uncles. Over the last few years I have fell in love with bow hunting, which no one else in my family does. During hunting season I am constantly torn between solo hunting with my bow, or spending time in the woods with my rifle and family.

·
Registered
24,102 Posts
I'm in a very similar place, I grew up big woods rifle hunting with my father and uncles. Over the last few years I have fell in love with bow hunting, which no one else in my family does. During hunting season I am constantly torn between solo hunting with my bow, or spending time in the woods with my rifle and family.
As much as you love bowhunting, there are times you never get back by being exclusive. I sit in the woods with a rifle in my hands a few days a year and it is not the same as my bow, but it also makes me think of my father who passed in 2011 and days we could have shared. Only you can make those decisions.......

·
Ice Cold
11,925 Posts
Longer, earlier season and elk in the rut. I enjoy shooting and tournaments, but if ammo/reloading supplies were cheaper or even existent at this point I’d probably do pew pew things just as often.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,789 Posts
For me it's the closeness of the bow that's the big rush. Plus the amount of movement to shoot without being detected at that close range. Little noises, moving to fast or at the wrong time etc etc just makes it 100X more intense.

The fact my ears don't ring, I don't have to wear electronic ears to hear or I can practice in the yard just makes it even better.

I have taken deer with a rifle at close range, with a 5 inch iron sight 44 mag pistol at close range and NOTHING compares to the bow IMO because all of those are so much easier to use at close range and require little movement. That's why I have no love for the Xbow.....it's the same thing as the others IMO.

I don't care if the guy in the next tree over uses anything I listed because everyone has their own reasons for why they hunt but for me it's the bow or bust.

No that I think about it that's probably why I'm not a big Trad fan even though I have tried that as well.......I'd still take 5 -15 yard shots and the process is the same. I don't use a high tech compound it's very simplistic so besides using my fingers and having no sight it would be about the same process. I just love a rudimentary compound.

Reactions: WVbowProud

·
The Impartial Archer
18,789 Posts
That I don't get. If you take the bow and your Dad or another family member takes a rifle you can't go together? Makes no sense too me. I hunt with rifle hunters all the time. IMHO if you are rifle hunting and bow hunting in the same place you aren't hunting right in one place or the other.........lol

So let him go to the cutover or cut crop field and you hunt the funnels in timber and enjoy each others company again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
First off all I really enjoy shooting my bow. I am getting over covid, spent time in hospital and have been out of work for a month. Last week I was bored and had the itch to shoot some arrows, well I couldn't pull the string back 4 inches I have gotten that weak. I turned poundage down to 55 lbs and two days later I was able to shoot six arrows and man was I happy. As far as hunting, once i took my first deer with the bow i was hooked for life there is no feeling like harvesting a deer in this manner. I just love getting away from the family and sitting up in a tree watching the woods wake up, it's my quiet time alone and it clenses my soul and mind. I just love being out there and dont care if i kill anything but i love having my bow with me. Here in CT we get four tags and if you hunt the zones near the shoreline you can shoot as many deer as you want and you can bait. The season is four months long so if your not out with a bow you are missing out.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts