Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year i see bucks before the hunting season starts but they always disappear when the season opens...This year i have seen some nice bucks and want to know some tips on how to keep them going through my property

I do have 1 trail cam that i set up today to try and get some pictures...

the only different things i did this year was plant a food plot and i didn't drive any fourwheelers on my land for like the whole summer.....should this help?

·
Registered
633 Posts
where i hunt we shoot at the bucks and miss they then tell there friends that the hunters on this farm can't hit the broadside of a barn and then they all come and stay for the year.:mg: just kidding
food source, water, good cover, does, and no pressure?

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
If you want bucks on your property during the hunting season, make the property attractive to does. Provide for their basic needs, i.e. food, water, escape cover, bedding cover. Don't overpressure the does and the bucks will go where the girls are, plus if they can eat, drink and sleep close by, they'll hang around.

If the area is overpopulated with does, thinning them out helps focus the bucks during the breeding time instead of a few bucks running themselves ragged after tons of does. Balance is a good thing.

That's what I'd do. Good luck. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Not too worrry..........when the 1st week of November rolls around....you'll see bucks you had never seen before.

Radio-collar studies have tracked bucks anywhere from 5 - 15 miles from their pre-rut home range.

Most bucks that are in this "travel phase" will take from 3 - 4 days to complete their circuitous route.

Hunt near several doe groups all day long and sooner or later a shooter will come by.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The above posts have some great info,Id also add that if you want to take a mature buck be as careful as you can about pressureing the deer early in the season......You should have your stands hung by now and stay the heck away until things are right..........take it slow and easy the first few weeks of the season be sure and only hunt the edges of the cover early on.....those big boys are moving after dark in most cases that time of year!
If you`ll wait to hunt hard until the middle of Oct. I think your odds of takeing a mature buck will be much better! Be as sneaky as you can.....slip in,slip out.....become obsessed with not letting the deer know youv been there!
And pray to the bowhunting gods for some luck!:wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Some good advice above. I know we've been able to increase our holding and attracting power considerably by implementing foodplots, mowing trails and thickening cover by selective cutting. You also want to obviously limit any sort of traffic on the property, ATV or otherwise. Also, as mentioned, limit early hunting pressure until it's more towards primetime and cooler temps that promote daytime activity much more. One thing is for sure, each thing you do should help considerably. Animals, especially the mature bucks, pick right up on this. Good luck this fall

·
Registered
1,592 Posts

a little horse feed that seems to be "misplaced" doesn't hurt either?:wink:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks

thanks for all the help!

one of my fav. hunting spots is like what u described above....
food(corn field), some water, and theres thick brush like 30yds away from my stand in almost every direction

also the ATV activity in there was "0" this yr

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
....If i had a tree like that i could spend more $$$ on hunting! LoL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts