Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Am Wondering, How Is The Best Way To Get Those Darn Arrow Wraps Off Of Your Arrows, They Look Great But I Didn't Realize It Would Be Such A Hassle To Get Them Off, I Wonder If That Utility Knife That Eze Crest Makes Would Work I Just Figured It Would Cut Into The Arrow, Help Me Please.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Wraps

After you strip them off with a razor or knife, spray them with brake clean and that will take off the film that left behind from the wrap. work for very good for me.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I like the ZipStrip tool, especially for taking off fletching. It's a little spendy but should last for a LONG time. The ZipStrip works well for vinyl tape too but I prefer a simple potato peeler. Either is easier with less chance of picking up a graphite sliver than a untility knife, IMHO. I do use a utility knife to do final scraping when trying to take off the very last glue and quill.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I beleive I heard heating them with a hair dryer and then peeling them off work well. I also heard dunking them in boiling water worked also, but that you should not leave your arrow sitting in boiling water for an extended period of time as this may weaken the arrow shaft.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Boil water and then submerge them for 10 seconds.
test and if they resist too much,submerse another ten and then remove. :wink:

·
Registered
630 Posts
what ARbor said
I clean with acetone
( but make sure you put some back on cause they're the best thing when fletching with instant type glue.)

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I use a Storm Archery Stripper. I prefer to just use Fletch-Tite Platinum on the bare shaft and not worry about it. The Fletch-Tite come off easy enough with the stripper and I don't have all the extra expense and effort.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Wrap removal

Boil water. Pour water into a vase or pitcher deep enough to cover the wrap. It doesn't take long to heat up. Remove arrow. Using an exacto knife, peel off a strip of wrap from bottom to top. This is just so you can easily grab the corners of the wrap. Grab the corner of the wrap and pull off. While the arrow is still warm, rub the arrow with a cloth, rub hard and fast and all the glue will be removed. Wrap it up and fletch again.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
These guys are correct, I fill the sink with warm water and put the arrows in to soften the wrap glue. The zip- stripper is the best tool I have found. I use the thinner that bohning sells for there cresting paint to remove any access glue. the whole process takes seconds.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
AKRuss said:
I like the ZipStrip tool, especially for taking off fletching. It's a little spendy but should last for a LONG time. The ZipStrip works well for vinyl tape too but I prefer a simple potato peeler. Either is easier with less chance of picking up a graphite sliver than a untility knife, IMHO. I do use a utility knife to do final scraping when trying to take off the very last glue and quill.

Listen to AKRuss. The Zip Strip works awesome. For camo shafts and removing cresting tape, nothing beats a Norway Zip Strip!

·
Registered
3 Posts
home depot (or any hardware store) should have this stuff called xylene. Its an adhesive remover and man it takes any glue off in seconds. I just used it today to clean month old tile adhesive off of some tiles and it worked in seconds. Used it to remove some stickers off of my motorcycle too. Great stuff and it costs 6 bucks.

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
ZipStrip does do a fine job. It is VERY important to be careful if you try the boiling water method. A hair dryer does work well to soften the material and peel it off with your finger tips. I never advise anyone to use chemicals if they don't have to. They really should come off some what easy. We make(as do other companies) arrow wraps that are alot easier to peel due to the make up of the adhesion on the wrap. If you need anything please ask, but these are the methods I would use. God bless.

DJ

·
Bowhunter
5,209 Posts
I cut the top off an old wine bottle to give me the height I needed to cover the wrap with hot water and something that would keep the volume of hot water required to something less than what was needed if I boiled water in a pot and used that.

Boil water, fill the old wine bottle with the hot water, put the back end of the arrow into the bottle for a bit. Then strip. Repeat if necessary. Clean cool shaft with denatured alcohol, let dry, rewrap and refletch.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I've tried the boiling/hot water routine several times with poor success. While the glue certainly heats up, the tape itself only comes off in little bits and pieces. As things cool down, you have to use hot water again. All in all, it's more of a mess and takes MUCH longer that hitting the tape with a Zip Strip and/or potato peeler. Is this what you guys run into or is it just the vinyl tape I'm using - actually I'm using different brands and haven't found one that peels off EASILY, with or without hot water, hence the Zip Strip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts