Archery Talk Forum banner

How do you get your BT release to fire?

516 Views 10 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  KurtVL
I watched GRIV's DVD recently and found that I shoot my BT release different than what he teaches.....I settle in and squeeze with my shoulders to get the release to rotate slightly and go off. George teaches you to relax your index finger to get the release to rotate and go off. I've been trying George's style and it is beating me up. I can blank bale all day and shoot with a string aid all day and get great releases....I put my sight on and I freeze up. I'm sure I just need to keep blank baleing till I get it right.
I wondering which way you get your BT to fire?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2,847 Posts
I do it the way you do - and it works fine. Get a good clean surprise release.

· Registered
2,697 Posts
i don't know,,i just look at the x and it goes off...............98% of the time anyway.
that's how it works once you have shot BT for a significant period of time.

When I started shooting BT I made the mistake of trying to many different methods. You need to find what suits you...I to tried George Ryal's "relax" method. It worked ok for awhile, but then my relaxing caused me to start creeping forward.
I am back to doing what works for me and I'm not messing with trying what everyone tells me is the way that they shoot.
Good luck!!

· Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's how it works once you have shot BT for a significant period of time.

When I started shooting BT I made the mistake of trying to many different methods. You need to find what suits you...I to tried George Ryal's "relax" method. It worked ok for awhile, but then my relaxing caused me to start creeping forward.
I am back to doing what works for me and I'm not messing with trying what everyone tells me is the way that they shoot.
Good luck!!
I'm getting the feeling I should just stick with the way I was doing it.....in the grand scheme of things I haven't been shooting BT for very long....about 13 months now. I'm just always trying to get better and sometimes that means trying different methods to see what's best.

· Registered
1,878 Posts
I watched GRIV's DVD recently and found that I shoot my BT release different than what he teaches.....I settle in and squeeze with my shoulders to get the release to rotate slightly and go off. George teaches you to relax your index finger to get the release to rotate and go off. I've been trying George's style and it is beating me up. I can blank bale all day and shoot with a string aid all day and get great releases....I put my sight on and I freeze up. I'm sure I just need to keep blank baleing till I get it right.
I wondering which way you get your BT to fire?
Read GRIV again -----there's a lot in there that is easy to loose track of while you are focusing on one special part---

If you make a separate movement by relaxing the forefinger----you have likely lost the intent of the BT by not expanding through the shot----

The shot should just go off ----once you find the target ---relax the fingers on both hands----while expanding through the shot-----

any time a separate movement is made to achieve release ----both aim/and tension will suffer----

if the release doesn't fire by it's self ---either it isn't set correctly--- or you've lost tension-----the most important part of shooting that release ----or any release

· Registered
12,283 Posts
Been workin with the BT for a few weeks now...uhhh....man....I think i'm gonna have to go up the mountain and see what wisdom the Wise One can impart.
There is nothing consistent about what's happening.
Read Larry Wise as well as Bernie but....
Seems like everyone shooting a BT has different wisdom to share about how its supposed to work...and I think I'm just gettin more confused...
Is Griv dvd really worth the $$$??? Like to find a qualified, recommended coach...

· Registered
11,635 Posts
Been workin with the BT for a few weeks now...uhhh....man....I think i'm gonna have to go up the mountain and see what wisdom the Wise One can impart.
There is nothing consistent about what's happening.
Read Larry Wise as well as Bernie but....
Seems like everyone shooting a BT has different wisdom to share about how its supposed to work...and I think I'm just gettin more confused...
Is Griv dvd really worth the $$$??? Like to find a qualified, recommended coach...
Keep at it...........a few weeks is nothing. I went 8 months shooting 4-5 times a week for an hour + before my scores started to get up to where I expected them to be. It is worth it. :)

Lien2

· 300 or bust
13,148 Posts
anyone got a good DVD or book for shooting the Evo+

(besides reading what Field14 has written)

just got Evo, i aim at the x, letoff safety, and pull through the shot, ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.